Online competition Rules
PLEASE READ THESE CONTEST RULES CAREFULLY BEFORE ENTERING THE CONTEST. BY ENTERING THIS CONTEST YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
Online Rube Goldberg Machine Contest Rules
1. About the Contest: The Contest is sponsored by Rube Goldberg Incorporated (“RGI”).
2. Team Restrictions: Students will participate in the Contest in teams (the “Teams”). Each Team member (an “Entrant”) must be eligible (see the Rule Book). Each Apprentice, Division I and II team must have an adult, non-student Team Leader. Each team must have at least three age-eligible Entrants.
3. To Enter: Each Team Leader must visit the Website when registration opens, create an account and complete all required registration fields. Each Team must pay the $395. fee, and submit a completed Team Page which includes two videos – one describing the machine and one showing the machine in action – and a step list, by the date listed on the web site. RGI will announce the winning teams and post a specially produced page showing the Team Pages. Team entries are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis by the deadline set by RGI.
4. Administrator/Sponsor: The Contest is administered and sponsored by RGI.
Apprentice Division: Entrant must be between the ages of 8 and 11.
Division I: Each Entrant must be between the ages of 11 and 14.
Division II: Each Entrant must be between the ages of 14 and 18.
Determination of eligibility of both Entrants and Teams will be at the sole discretion of RGI. By participating in the Contest, Team Leaders, on behalf of their Teams: (a) agree to be bound by these Contest Rules, by the Rube Goldberg Machine Contest Rule Book (provided at www.rubegoldberg.com) and by the decisions of RGI which are final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest; (b) to release and hold harmless RGI, the judges, and their respective agents, employees, officers, directors, successors and assigns (collectively, “Released Parties”), against any and all claims, injury or damage arising out of or relating to participation in this Contest; and (c) acknowledge compliance with these Contest Rules.
7. Submissions: The “Submission” is comprised of:
Items fully described on the Team Page:
– OUR STEP LIST: A Step list (3 pages maximum).
– OUR MACHINE VOLUME WORKSHEET
– OUR CLOSE-UPS: PHOTOS
– OUR CLOSE-UPS: FAVORITE STEP
– OUR CLOSE-UPS: STEP COMPLETION
– OUR MACHINE INTRODUCTION AND WALK-THROUGH: A video explanation of the machine and step walkthrough (3 minutes maximum)
– OUR MACHINE RUN VIDEO #1
– OUR MACHINE RUN VIDEO #2
NOTE: Each video must be a single continuous view of TWO DIFFERENT machine runs. These may NOT be two videos of the same machine run from different angles. The machine run videos must have the machine in view at all times with NO video editing or breaks. Any evidence of editing with result in disqualification.
Any and all content generated, distributed, posted or published by Teams as part of the Submission (“Content”) must be tasteful and based on context and societal acceptability. Such Content must, in the sole and unfettered discretion of RGI, be suitable for a general audience and must not contain any content that:
• is sexually explicit or suggestive;
• unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic;
• is obscene or offensive;
• endorses any form of hate or hate group;
• defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies;
• invades privacy;
• infringes the intellectual property rights of any third party; or
• violates any applicable law.
RGI reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any Submission at any time in the event it is determined that the Submission is offensive, inappropriate, or if it is determined that the Team has not otherwise complied with these Contest Rules. By submitting a Submission, Each Team Leader, on behalf of himself or herself and his or her Team, hereby grants permission for the Submission to be used, in whole or in part, by RGI for any commercial or advertising purpose throughout the universe in any and all languages and media (whether now known or hereafter devised), and to be posted on the Website or other websites, and used in press materials, without further authorization by the Team Leader, the Team, any Entrant or any third party, and without payment. Each Team agrees that RGI is not responsible for any unauthorized use of Submissions by third parties. RGI does not guarantee the posting of any Submission.
8. Selection of Winners: Each eligible Submission will be judged and individual feedback provided by a panel of experts. The winning Teams will be announced on the web site by posting a specially produced page showing the Team Pages.
9. Awards: Each Winner will be notified of its selection by email, and prizes may be distributed to winning Teams in RGI’s discretion; provided that nothing shall obligate RGI to award any prizes.
If a Winner either declines a prize, or does not respond to the potential prize notification within 14 calendar days from the date on which the Winners are selected and notified, or is deemed ineligible to accept the prize, an alternate Winner will be selected by RGI after the disqualification of the previous Winner. Each Winner may be required to complete and return to RGI or its designated agent an Affidavit of Eligibility and a Liabilities/Publicity Release Form, except where prohibited by law. Failure to return the signed Affidavit and Release may result in forfeiture of the applicable prize, except where prohibited by law. All prize awards are subject to verification, eligibility as determined by RGI in its sole discretion and strict compliance with these Contest Rules. RGI and its agents and representatives will not be liable for any prize(s) that do not reach the Winners for reasons beyond RGI’s reasonable control.
10. General Terms: RGI is not responsible for programming, coding, or other production errors, and RGI may rescind, cancel or revoke all or any part of the Contest based on any such error, or for any other reason, without liability at its sole discretion. No more than the advertised number of prizes will be awarded. Upon receipt of any prize, Entrant is required to comply with any and all applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations. Taxes on and in connection with all prizes are the sole responsibility of each Entrant; RGI or its designated agent may issue a Form 1099 to the Winners for prizes with an ARV of $600 or more.
All Submissions are subject to verification. RGI assumes no responsibility for entries or Submissions that are lost, late, misdirected, stolen, illegible, undelivered, garbled, damaged, mutilated, incomplete, reproduced mechanically, forged, falsified, altered, or tampered with (and any such entries or submissions that are ineligible), or for any computer, online, or technical malfunctions that may occur. RGI assumes no responsibility for any technical problems in connection with the transmission or receipt of Submissions, including faulty electronic data transmission, traffic congestion on the Internet or on websites, hardware or software error, equipment failure or malfunction, or other online communications problems. In the event of disputes regarding the identities of the persons submitting entries, entries will be deemed made by the teams who identify themselves on the entry forms. RGI may publish the names of the Teams, Team Leaders, Entrants and their Submissions. Each Team Leader, by entering his or her Team into the Contest, warrants and represents to RGI and its agents and representatives that such Team Leader’s school has authorized such Team Leader to enter into the Contest on the terms set forth herein all requisite parental consents to the Entrants’ participation in the Contest and authorization to grant the rights and licenses to the Team Leader’s and RGI’s use of the Entrants’ names and likenesses as provided herein.
By entering into the Contest, each Team agrees to these Contest Rules and to all decisions of RGI and its representatives and agents, which are final and legally binding in all respects, and further agrees that all prizes are awarded upon the condition that RGI or any of its parent companies, subsidiaries, officers, directors, partners, principals, employees or agents shall have no liability whatsoever and shall be held harmless for any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind to persons or property, including death, sustained, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, in connection with or resulting from acceptance, possession or use/misuse of any prize, or participation in the Contest or participation in any Contestrelated activities and further acknowledges that said parties have neither made, nor are in any manner responsible or liable for, any warranty, representation or guarantee, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relative to any prize, including but not limited to its merchantability, quality, mechanical condition or fitness for a particular purpose. As a condition of entering, each Team agrees that (a) under no circumstances will the Team be permitted to obtain awards for, and waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, consequential or any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, (b) all causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and (c) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with participating in the Contest, but in no event attorney’s fees. RGI is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by Teams, by any of the equipment or programming associated with, or utilized in, the Contest, or by any printing, technical or human error which may occur in the processing and/or transmissions in the Contest.
Each Team agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless RGI and its affiliates, agents, contractors and representatives from and against any and all damages, liability, claims, proceedings, fines and expenses, including without limitation reasonable attorneys’ fees, arising out of or relating to such Team’s violation of these Contest Rules. The laws of the State of New York shall exclusively govern the Contest. By accepting prizes, the Winners agree that RGI may use each winner’s name, likeness, photograph and/or biographical information, without limitation, for promotional purposes without further consideration or payment, where permitted by law. All expenses not specified herein are the Winners’ responsibility. Prizes are not transferable. No prize, coupon, cash or other substitutions are permitted except at RGI’s sole discretion or as otherwise provided herein. RGI reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value if an advertised prize becomes unavailable. RGI’s failure to enforce any term of these Contest Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Should any provision of these Contest Rules be deemed unenforceable or invalid, the other provisions of these Contest Rules shall remain in full force and effect. In the event that the Contest is challenged by any legal or regulatory authority (including but not limited to any federal or state governmental authority), RGI reserves the right to discontinue or modify the Contest, as applicable, or to disqualify any Teams residing in any affected geographic areas, as applicable. In such event, RGI shall have no liability to any Teams who are disqualified due to such an action.