Open An Umbrella
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
We are studying electronics and weather in science class.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Progress is made by trial and failure; the failures are generally a hundred times more numerous than the successes ; yet they are usually left unchronicled." - William RamseyWhy we think we should win:
Our mechanism has has many unusual and creative components that are sure not to be seen in other entries. Most of our transfers were thought of solely by the team, and were not taken off of a video, or other means of inspiration. We also travel more deeply into science than simply transferring energy, such as the chemical reaction between the baking soda and citric acid on the sea-saw, and robot.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
open a drawerFavorite Rube Goldberg video:
Late at night, when everyone is asleep, your toys are hard at work. Everything from ping-pong paddles to marbles have a mission to complete. So unless, you want to wake up to a room messier than when you went to sleep, you'd better clean your room, and hope that it doesn't turn into a toy storyline!
Our Step List
1. Marble rolls down pipe into yellow bucket.
2. Yellow bucket lowers to raise ramp with a pulley.
3. Ramp lifts to release large blue marble.
4. Marble knocks over cup.
5. Cup releases citric acid.
6. Citric acid reacts with baking soda to release large ball bearing.
7. Ball bearing falls into blue basket.
8. Blue basket lowers to separate magnet basket.
9. Magnets from basket knock over domino tower.
10. Basket releases small steel ball down track to pipe.
11. Pipe hits ping pong paddle.
12. Ping pong paddle swings down to hit first bocce ball.
13. Bocce ball hits popsicle stick to second bocce ball to posicle stick to 3rd bocce ball to wooden block.
14. Wooden block hits barn door.
15. Barn door hit series of dominoes.
16. 3rd Bocce ball hits popsicle stick to 4th bocce ball that lands on a ramp.
17. Ball hits wooden block.
18. Block hits robot sensor.
19. Robot sensor activates robot arm.
20. Robot arm hits hammer.
21. Hammer hits tinker toy platform.
22. Tinker toy hits button.
23. Button opens umbrella.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos