Open An Umbrella
Cradle of Aviation Museum
Saturday, February 06, 2016 Setup Time:
7:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
What we're studying:
Currently, all three of us are enrolled in the Advanced Science Research Program at Calhoun High School, which allows us to have hands on experiences working with seasoned mentors, conducting research and experiments in a field of our choice. Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.Why we think we should win:
When people think of the word whimsical, they think of Mary Poppins. From our team name, to our outfits, to our machine, we have completely committed to a Mary Poppins theme. Our machine is built well and runs smoothly. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Untie a shoelace.
Our machine is an amazing feat. We worked tirelessly for so long to complete this work. We decided on a Mary Poppins theme because it is whimsical, fun, and easily relatable. The machine is very diverse, containing balls rolling, pulley systems, levers, and so much more. It all culminates on the rooftop of the family's house where Mary Poppins's own umbrella is opened effortlessly and with flourish.
Our Step List
1) The orange ball is released and rolls down a ramp.
2) The orange ball hits the left side of a battering ram, causing it to swing sideways.
3) The right side of the battering ram hits a golf ball, pushing it down a ramp and through the chimney.
4) The golf ball hits into a propped up piece of wood, toppling it and causing a different piece of wood that is loosely attached to the wall to swing.
5) The loosely attached lever swings down and hits a golf ball.
6) The golf ball rolls and hits a broom sweep.
7) The broom sweep swings out and hits another broom sweep.
8) The second broom sweep hits a golf ball.
9) The golf ball rolls down a ramp and falls into a cup.
10) The cup is pulled down by the ball's weight and, through a pulley system, a piece of wood blocking a car is lifted.
11) The removal of the blocker allows for the car to roll down a ramp.
12) The car hits a blue ball, which travels down the wall behind a glass shield.
13) The blue ball hits a golf ball, which drops down a tree.
14) The golf ball knocks over Jenga blocks (domino effect)
15) The last Jenga block hits a purple ball, causing it to roll.
16) The purple ball hits a lever, causing it to swing.
17) The lever knocks into a toy car, making it roll down a PVC pipe.
18) The car hits a golf ball, which rolls down the PVC pipe around the trunk of a tree.
19) The golf ball makes contact with a marble, sending it down a pipe.
20) The golf ball continues on to hit a pendulum.
21) The pendulum swings into a golf ball.
22) The golf ball turns a corner and rolls through a PVC pipe, knocking into a lever.
23) The top of the lever hits a lacrosse ball, sending it rolling down a ramp.
24) The lacrosse ball hits a string attached to paper, and the paper unravels.
25) The lacrosse ball continues to roll and falls off the ramp into a bucket.
26) The bucket is pushed down by the weight of the lacrosse ball, tilting a seesaw downwards.
27) The seesaw tilting downwards causes water to flow out of an attached water bottle.
28) The water flows through an open PVC pipe and off the edge, into another bucket.
29) The bucket is weighted and falls down, attached to a string connected to the umbrella, like a pulley.
30) The string and bucket fall causing the umbrella to open up, by the string attached to the middle being pulled upwards.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos