Apply A BAND-AID®
Online Family Division - All Ages
What we're studying:
Environmental Engineering, Materials Science Engineering, Earth System Science, Physics
Our machine is supposed to tell the story of climate change. The white part of the string was added on the balloon so that we could make the string and cardboard box look like a thermometer showing an increase in temperature. This part of the machine shows how greenhouse gas emissions from human activities like driving causes an increase in the earth's temperature. The water filling up the container with the funnel is supposed to be flooding due to the melting of the polar icecaps. The last steps with the Band-Aid on the picture of the earth and on the globe encourage people to help our planet heal.
Our Step List
1. First, we press down on the cardboard see-saw.
2. The blue toy car slides down the ramp.
3. At the same time, the side of the see-saw that went up releases the balloon string.
4. The balloon goes up through a hole in a box and pulls up on the cardboard lever.
5. The lever pushes the container of marbles down the ramp.
6. The container of marbles pushes the earth ball.
7. The earth ball rolls and pushes the water bottle.
8. The water bottle tilts over the hole in the ramp.
9. The water pours through the funnel and into the container.
10. The container of water gets heavier as the water spills into it.
11. The container with water weighs down on one side of the cardboard see-saw.
12. The other side of the see-saw goes up.
13. The see saw pushes the can up over the small distance necessary to go over the ramp.
14. The can rolls down the ramp with a picture of the earth.
15. The can presses one Band-Aid over the picture of the earth.
16. The can also then pushes another can.
17. The second can slides and pushes the cardboard hinge until it reaches the bottom where the base of the globe is.
18. The cardboard raises up because of both the can underneath it and because of how the bend is made to naturally bend up in that direction once pushed upwards.
19. The cardboard tilts the platform attached to it along the curvature of the globe.
20. The platform for the second Band-Aid presses against the globe, attaching the second Band-Aid to the globe.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos