Open An Umbrella
Online Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
What we're studying:
We studied physical principles together, such as electromagnetic energy, gravity, and chemical reactions, through teamwork and mutual understanding.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
ההוויה הגדולה היא בעשיה.Why we think we should win:
We put a lot of effort into building the machine and we learned a lot along the way.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Playing a favourite song.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
In a dark basement in one of the schools, chemical matters are stored, the students' entry is forbidden. In order to prevent the entry of students the amazing machine was built. It is activated with a robot, and after a chain of events that lasts for approximately two minutes, an opening umbrella blocks the front door.
Our Step List
1. The operating button of the robot is pressed.
2. The robot moves forward and is pulls a rubber cable that is attached to a roller which is at a 2.2 meter height.
3. The cable tilts a cup with a metal ball.
4. The metal ball moves along a plastic rail.
5. The ball falls from the rail onto a drum that makes noise.
6. The drum's surface is elastic and bounces the ball onto a board.
7. The ball falls from the board through a funnel.
8. The ball moves through the funnel and a tube and hits a wooden domino cube.
9. The domino cubes hit one another and fall, the last cube hits a lever that activates a lamp.
10. The lamp lights a solar panel that creates electricity.
11. The electric energy activates a vane.
12. The vane is attached to a string which pulls a wooden cube.
13. The cube hits a lever that release the spring of a cart.
14. The moving cart hits another wooden cube.
15. The wooden cube falls and drops the weights.
16. The falling weights causing the clip to open.
17. The opening clip releases an inflated balloon.
18. The balloon is attached to two strings: one string that goes through a straw, another which is attached to the handle of a lever. The release of the air from the balloon is aimed downwards causing the balloon go upwards.
19. The release of the balloon upwards breaks the lever handle free.
20. The handle of the lever is attached to a test tube that contains acetone. The release of the lever causes the acetone to stream into a Styrofoam cup.
21. Inside the cup a chemical reaction occurs, making the Styrofoam melt.
22. Two balls, which were inside the Styrofoam cup, fall through a hole that was made as a result of the chemical reaction.
23. The glass balls roll on a rail closing an electric circuit.
24. The current that runs through the copper coil makes a magnetic field.
25. Inside the copper coil there is a magnet, the reaction of the magnet and the magnetic field fires the magnet out of the coil.
26. The magnet that broke out hits a glass ball that moves on a rail.
27. The glass ball hits the copper coated wooden cube.
28. The cube falls and closes a circuit that contains a small engine.
29. The engine spins and pulls a string.
30. The pulling of the string causes the rail to divert.
31. The glass balls that are on the rail roll.
32. They roll into a twisted tube.
33. The glass balls which come out at the end of the tube are collected into a bottle.
34. The bottle falls and pulls weights after it.
35. The weights fall from a height and pull a string downwards.
36. The string is attached to an umbrella's opening mechanism. The weights drop causing the string to push a button which opens the umbrella.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos