Erase A Chalkboard
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Eric Santos, Wendy Cullivan, Gwen Holmesley
What we're studying:
STEAM!Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going.Why we think we should win:
Beginner's Luck!Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Videos showing what goes in to the design and testing phases. Our students vastly underestimated how valuable these were... until the whole thing didn't work :-)
Also, more help emphasizing and teaching on building and construction principles, i.e. duct tape and hot glue are not for wood - they need to learn how to measure, hammer, screw, drill, etc.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Welcome to our page! This was the first time our school has ever attempted a Rube Goldberg chain reaction machine, so it was a learning experience for all. Thanks for visiting!
Our Step List
1. Push the bus.
2. The bus rolls down the ramp.
3. The bus hits the steel ball.
4. The steel ball rolls down the tube.
5. The steel ball hits the book.
6. The book hits the ‘giant’ hammer.
7. The hammer hits the wood structure.
8. The wood structure hits the ball.
9. The ball goes down the dragon tube.
10. The ball hits the golf ball.
11. The golf ball hits the clear tube connected to the truck.
12. The truck rolls down the ramp.
13. The truck hits the ball.
14. The ball goes down the tube onto the remote button.
15. The remote turns on the train.
16. The train goes around the track.
17. The eraser on the side of the train erases the board (“No Homework”).
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos