Open An Umbrella
Online Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Eva Ben Ezra
What we're studying:
The incredible machine allows learning the laws of Physics in a creative and innovative way to some extent for the next generation working in creative thinking and inventive in developing future generations of engineers and scientists needed to maintain a quality advantage of Israel.
The study develops a curiosity in students and creates a challenge to select the student scientific subjects especially physics.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
The motto leading the teachers from leading law of Newton said:
"Genius is 5% and 85% mmhatzlha is the product of hard work, investment and learning"!.!.! (Newton)Why we think we should win:
The science team at the school worked collaboratively with the exception of his multiple interests in all the laws of physics, and applied them in astounding in Tim. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Expansion of the use of the laws of physics.
Recommendation that the work lmscanot Tim knowing intensive industries
Our Step List
AMIT Kennedy Akko High School
Description of the Steps of Operation and the Physical Laws and Effects
1. The incredible machine is triggered by a bullet from a spring gun that heats a lever
1.1. The spring energy is stored in the spring. When the bullet is released, the spring induces a force on the bullet mass (Newton first law) giving it kinetic energy and momentum. This momentum is transferred to the lever and moves it - momentum conservation (שימור התנע). The lever is then receives kinetic energy.
2. The lever pushes two coupled wheels with weights attached to them at both sides
2.1. The kinetic energy of the lever transferred into rotational kinetic energy of the wheels by the law of energy conservation. Their velocity (מהירות) is slower due to their high moment of inertia.
3. The wheels push a hammer that pushes a carriage.
3.1. Mechanical force and momentum conservation.
4. The carriage triggers electrical switch that turns on a laser and also releases an inertia wheel (bicycle wheel). It also pours colored water from a cattle to a transparent glass jar (צנצנת זכוכית שקופה) that shifts the laser beam.
4.1. The switch closes an electrical current loop that turns on Light Amplification by Stimulated Radiation (LASER) process. It generates a narrow directed green light beam. The beam is refracted (האלומה נשברת) by Snell law since the water index of refraction is higher than that of the air.
4.2. The Inertia wheel transforms a potential energy of a weight into rotational kinetic energy by conservation of energy. The bicycle wheel has large moment of inertia since most of its mass is in its circumference (הקף המעגל) at distance of the radius R from the center. It gains as well large angular momentum (תנע זוויתי) due to its inertia.
5. The refracted laser beam triggers an electrical relay that turn on a lamp. The lamp illuminates solar cells that operate an electrical engine
5.1. When the current loop of the relay is closed by a sensor that detects the laser light, a magnetic field is introduced by inductance, it then closes a switch that turns on a lamp- the heat energy turns into electromagnetic radiation (light) energy.
5.2. The solar cells power enables electro-moving force (כוח אלקטרו מניע) of the electrical engine.
6. The engine drops beads that push an electrical normally closed switch that disconnect the current of a coil, causing the magnetic field that holds a nail to release it.
6.1. The current in the coil induces inductance (השראה) that generates magnetic force for holding the nail.
6.2. After it releases, the beads fall down by gravitation and gain momentum that pushes the switch.
7. Releasing the nail allows balls to drop into an empty cup on the wheel. This turns on a switch that operates an electrical engine that generates standing waves on a rotating cord (חוט). The rotating wave amplitude of the cord heats small glass balls.
7.1. The cord length is given and is fixed in one end, so that the rotation of the other side of the spring by the electrical engine induces standing waves with a whole number of wave crests ((מספר שלם של שיאי הגלים.
8. The balls are rolling through a slalom path and a conic funnel through a hole in the bottom, into a plastic box that its weight lifts a box magazine (מחסנית) of glass balls (to simulate the xylophone) using a lifting block ((גלגלת.
8.1. Rolling by gravitation along slant curved path
8.2. Lifting block enables tension force.
9. The glass balls knock the xylophone and then drop to a test tube (מבחנה) with a conducting solvent that makes a contact for operating, by an electrical relay (ממסר חשמלי), a vacuum pump.
9.1. The knocking on the xylophone bars stimulates sound waves with a frequency according to the xylophone bars length- shorter bars relate to higher frequencies, longer bars relate to lower frequencies.
10. Vacuum pump shrinks a plastic bottle, making the weight on it to fall down. It pushes a hammer that releases air pressure blocked by a plier (tool) from an inflated balloon.
11. The balloon air pressure pushes a small glass ball through a tube and then it rolls down along a curved slant track. It then triggers mouse trap. From there, it rolls through a slant track and then triggers a second mouse trap. The first opens an umbrella where the second releases a sudden pressure from a pressure bottle.
11.1. The mouse traps and the umbrella are all based on a spring stored energy and spring force.
12. The pressure bottle sprays water on the umbrella and the water is drained to a bottle where its weight moves, by a cord tension, a lens to a point where the final image from a slide is projected sharply on a screen showing AMIT Akko Highschool logo.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos