Put Money in a Piggy Bank
Online Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Matan Dror - invitation signed.
Noam Liuzzi - invitation sent
Elior Sala - invitation signed.
Amir Alfi - invitation signed.
Eliya Malka - invitation sent
Sagiv Hazan - invitation sent
Banaya Shimon - invitation signed.
Bnaya Chakotay - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
The machine was built by the students of the ATIDIM after school program for excellence. We focus on Science, Mathematics and English and are exposed to future options in Academic institutes and the High-Tec industry.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
Atidim moto: (Hebrew)
תהיה מציאותי. תחלום.
Be realistic. Dream.Why we think we should win:
We should win because stations in our machine are not common, the project has a special idea of progress of science and technology through history, the work was done with cooperation of different staffs: technical, art and supplies.
Children was talking about the machine on school breaks.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
sharpening a pen.
Hi, allow me to welcome you to the scientific time travel of Amit Kennedy Akko!
Our machine is divided to 3 different eras- the stone age, medieval times, and the modern generation.
Already in the stone age, men used tools like rocks, knives, spear, a bow n’ arrow et cetera..
A huge invention of that time was the wheel.
In those ancient times, the technology evolved quite slowly.
From there we jump to ancient Greece, Pythagoras theorem and irrational numbers.
Archimedes screw-The first water pump. A simple mechanical device that uses circular movement to make water transferring easier.
In that time , on the other side of the globe, another civilization was evolving, that later brought to the world many fascinating inventions. Like the Chinese water clock that can measure time by the amount of water flowing into it.
We head to the times of intellectual awakening with Copernicus. The Earth isn’t the center of the universe, the Earth spins around the sun!
Galileo thru objects off the Pisa tower and found that weight doesn't affect the time it takes to reach the ground.
Next in line is Newton’s experiment- an apple drops down a slide and rings bells on its way that indicates timing.
Joule’s experiment that proved and showed the conservation of energy.
The periodic table of Mendeleev is revealed, at that time people started thinking about atomic structures.
Now we get to more recent times, Edison's light bulb, radio, vehicles, and from there to planes and computers.
I Wonder, (But!) What will we donate to the next generation of science?!
Our Step List
1. Activation is done by a stone. A student hitting the hammer arm which sits on an axis and holds the bow string.
2. The hammer releases the string and the bow fires an arrow.
3. The arrow hits a weight which is tied to a wheel and brings it down
4. The wheel starts to roll up the hill
5. It rolls until it hits the arm that releases the wheel of “Pythagorean theorem”
6. The screw which is connected to the wheel presses an electrical trigger
7. The electrical trigger is closing a circle that activates an electrical screwdriver connected to Archimedes screw.
8. The screw rotation brings the water up until it is spilled into a tank with a tap
9. Water flows into horizontally positioned open bottle connected to an arm (chineese clock)
10. Water weight lifts up the arm and the water spills
11. After that the arm comes back to it’s place and pulls a string attached to another arm.
12. Tank with glass drops moves and releases some drops into dustpan which is located on electrical switch
13. After few periods the switch opens an electrical circle attached to electromagnet.
14. The magnet stops and releases a cart that holds the earth.
15. The cart goes down the hill and falls to a net attached to an arm. At the same time the earth turns around the sun in elliptic motion.
16. The arm goes down because of the weight of the cart and pulls up a sand tank.
17. Sand begins to flow through a hole into a bucket.
18. The filling bucket pulls the Pisa tower with block.
19. Because the incline of the the tower the hammer and jelly ball falls from it.
20. The hammer hits a shelf with weight
21. The weight rises up a flag which signs the draw between hammer and a ball and pulls a magnet attached to the apple.
22. The apple is released from magnet and starts to move down the inclined plane and activates a xylophone.
23. At the edge of the line an apple falls on Newton’s head after bringing down the weight.
24. A weight tied down to a pipe with sand pulls it down and sand is spilled into bottle.
25. The bottle starts to go down slowly, pulling the wire attached to elastic arm.
26. The arm is bending and releases weights confined by nails in the elastic arm.
27. The weights fall, turning around Jaul’s vane
28. The vane rotation is turning a Styrofoam in the tank, rising a gauge in thermometer and opens the curtain of periodic table and releases the weight.
29. The weight presses an electrical trigger
30. The switch closes an electrical circle that shows the Ohm law and activates an electric screwdriver with a rope attached
31. The rope starts to rotate and creates a standing wave.
32. During the rotation the rope hits a track with weight and vibrates it.
33. The weight is slipping into the truck.
34. The truck is moved by the weight down the track
35. In the end of the track the truck moves a weight and drops it.
36. The weight attached to a clip on a string pulls the clip
37. The clip releases a plane that lands in “Airport”
38. The plane is pressing “Enter” on keyboard in the end of the lane.
39. The keyboard activates the printer
40. The printer prints a page that hides the light from a light sensor
41. The light sensor activates an electrical engine which is attaché to the printer side
42. The engine reses up one side of a track with string attached to it.
43. The coin rolls down the track and falls into the moneybox.
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos