Pour A Bowl of Cereal
Online Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Maya Zer Aviv - invitation signed.
Evelin Hafuta - invitation signed.
Matan Biton - invitation signed.
Hadar Asbag - invitation sent
Noam Safir - invitation sent
What we're studying:
The machine was built by the students of the ATIDIM after school program for excellence. We focus on Science, Mathematics and English and are exposed to future options in Academic institutes and the High-Tec industry.
Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
Atidim moto: (Hebrew)
תהיה מציאותי. תחלום.
Be realistic. Dream.
Why we think we should win:
We belive that we deserve to win. We didn't have much time to prepare our machine, and still, we managed to build an efficient and well working machine.
The making of the machine contributed to the felling of unification in our group, in addition to our knowledge of chemistry and physicsSuggestion for next year's challenge:
Inflate a balloon
Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Our machine was built by the 9th grade students of Menachem Begin school in the city of Eilat, Israel. We live on the Red Sea, between our neighboring towns- Taba, Egypt and Aqaba, Jordan.
The machine was built by the students of the ATIDIM after school program for excellence in Science and Technology
Our Step List
1. A person leaves a weight. Height energy transforms into kinetic energy. The weight gains velocity.
2. The weight goes into the pipe and pushed the ball on the track. In the elastic collision part of the weight's energy passes to the ball, that gains velocity.
3. The ball rolls down the track and hit another ball that’s located in the middle of the track. In the elastic collision part of the ball's energy passes to the other ball, that gains velocity.
4. The ball hits a small marble at the end of the track. In the elastic collision part of the ball's energy passes to the small marble, that gains velocity
5. The small marble goes into the pipe and hit another ball. In the elastic collision part of the marble's energy passes to the ball, that gains velocity
6. The ball goes into the pipe and rolled into lever. Height energy transforms into kinetic energy. The ball gains velocity.
7. The mass of the ball turn on the lever and raise the weight. Due to the Archimedes law of the lever, the lever will change its equilibrium.
8. The weight rolls down the track and hit the Domino brick which is located at the end of the track. In the elastic collision part of the weight's energy passes to the Domino brick, that gains velocity.
9. The first Domino brick hits additional nine Domino bricks and they fall one by one.
10. The last Domino brick drops a weight at the end of the runway.
11. The weight drops and lift the cover of a solar car.
12. The cover goes up and reveals the solar panel of the car to a lit lamp that is located in front of the car. Light energy is converted into electric energy due to the solar panel.
13. The car drives and pulls a string attached to it. Electric energy is converted into kinetic energy.
14. The other side of the string is connected to a lever hold.
15. The hold drops and the lever releases a bag of copper chloride.
16. The copper chloride goes into aluminum Cup filled with water.
17. The copper chloride and the aluminum create a chemical reaction and in the aluminum Cup a hole is created.
18. The water runs down through the hole to a track, and fills a cup that's located in the end of the track.
19. The mass of the cup with the water lifts another Cup. Both cups are connected by a string that runs through a pulley.
20. The second cup hits a surface that raises a ball.
21. The ball passes through tracks and enters into a pipe with a car in its end.
22. The ball hits the car. In the elastic collision part of the ball's energy passes to the car, that gains velocity.
23. The car hits a weight that’s located on a wire that holds a pulley block that’s connected to a knife.
24. The wire releases and the pulley block rolls.
25. The knife blow up a balloon that contains breakfast cereal.
26. The breakfast cereal goes out of the balloon and into the bowl.
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos