Pour A Bowl of Cereal
Online Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Moran Ostar - invitation sent
Edy Becker - invitation sent
Shir Haim - invitation sent
Noi Turjiman - invitation signed.
Ori Alfasi - invitation signed.
Nati Biryiokov - invitation sent
Koren Ochayon - invitation sent
Yael Sfaradi - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
The machine was built by the students of the ATIDIM after school program for excellence. We focus on Science, Mathematics and English and are exposed to future options in Academic institutes and the High-Tec industry.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
Atidim moto: (Hebrew)
תהיה מציאותי. תחלום.
Be realistic. Dream.Why we think we should win:
We think that we should win because our machine is really amazing , it is original and special . In our machine we used household items in a special way .we really felt like it bonded us together .Suggestion for next year's challenge:
open a doorFavorite Rube Goldberg video:
The idea for our machine is based around Israel's 70th birthday, from the design to the level count we tried making everything to revolve around the idea.
At times the process was really frustrating but we didn't give up, we wanted to win.
We made new friends, worked together for many hours and in the end it was worth it, we did our best, put our heart and soul into this machine, we really connected to it.
Everything was great, we loved and enjoyed the process.
Our Step List
Our step list:
Level description of the incredible machine 2018
1. A handle converts a mechanical motion to a circular motion of a gear system.
2. Spinning gears push a button, that closes a circuit that include batteries and an electrical motor.
3. Batteries convert the chemical-energy to electrical-energy.
4. Motor spins a drum- electrical-energy of the motor is being converted into movement energy of the drum, which spins on its axis, while holds a ball inside.
5. A ball falls out of the drum onto a track- height energy is being converted into movement energy.
6. Ball (1) falls into a cup of a scale, the ball tilts the scale.
7. Ball (2) rolls of the scale to a track that leads it to a crane- height energy is converted to movement energy.
8. The ball (2) activates a horizontal crane. (The movements of a ball to the movement of the crane.)
9. The crane releases a stretched thread tied to a spring powered toy train- elastic energy is being converted into movement energy.
10. The train moves a ball down a horizontal track- the momentum of the train pushes the ball.
11. The ball falls into a pipe- height energy is converted into movement energy.
12. The ball falls onto a heavy weight that is connected by rubber bands to the bottom of the pipe- the momentum of the ball is transferred to the weight.
13. The weight is stretching the rubber bands- the movement energy of the weight is being converted into elastic energy of the rubber bands.
14. The weight goes down and pushes the button of the umbrella- the momentum of the weight is transferred to the button of the umbrella.
15. The button activates the mechanism of the umbrella- elastic energy from the spring in the umbrella to the movement of the umbrella.
16. The umbrella opens and pulls a thread- movement energy to elastic energy.
17. The thread pulls a switch (elastic to movement) that activates a circuit which contains batteries and a fan- chemical energy of the batteries converts into electrical energy, to a circular movement energy.
18. The movement energy of the fan is converted to the movement energy of the air stream. (wind)
19. The air from the fan knocks down a set of dominos. (the momentum of the air is passed to the set of dominos)
20. The dominos knock a ball down a tilted track- height energy to movement.
21. A ball falls into a cup that is tied to one end of the threat, and makes the thread stretch- height energy to elastic energy.
22. The second end of the thread is tied to a balloon, when the thread is stretched the balloon rises- elastic energy to height energy.
23. The balloon rises and the drinking soda spills out into a bottle with vinegar that leads to a chemical reaction.
24. The balloon inflates and tilts the surface above it- elastic energy to height energy.
25. A ball rolls and hits the bottom part of a hammer- the momentum of the ball passes to the hammer.
26. Hammers built as vertical cranes that spin around its axis, with balls that roll down a tilted surface, they represent a mechanism that lifts the machine's movement continuation to a higher point, the top part of a hammer (2) hits a ball which rolls down a tilted surface- the momentum of the hammer is transferred to the ball.
27. A ball hits the bottom part of a hammer (2)- the momentum of the ball to the hammer.
28. The top of the hammer (2) hits a ball that rolls down a tilted surface- momentum of the hammer to the ball.
29. The ball hits the bottom part of a hammer (3)- momentum of the ball to the hammer.
30. The top part of the hammer (3) hits a ball that rolls down a tilted surface- the momentum of the hammer to the ball.
31. The ball hits a set of dominos- the momentum of the ball to the set of dominos.
32. The set of dominos hits another ball- the momentum of the set of dominos to the ball.
33. A ball falls to a cup that is connected by a thread to a pulley that changes the movement direction from bottom to the top and allows to lift with little force a big weight- the pulley converts height energy to movement energy.
34. The cup rises and pulls the break that holds the pump handle in the air- elastic energy to movement.
35. The pump handle goes down thanks to the rubber bands that were released- height energy to movement.
36. The air from the pump pushes a ball- the movement energy of the pump increases the air pressure inside the pipe and lets the air flow from the bottom to the top.
37. The ball rolls in a track and in the lowest point of the track the ball hits a weight and the weight falls down- the height energy of the ball transferred to movement energy, the momentum of the ball is converted to the weight.
38. The weight is being used as a part of a pulley mechanism that changes the movement direction from the bottom up and enables a small force to lift a big mass, the weight falls and pulls a thread that is tied to it- height energy is converted to movement energy converted to elastic energy.
39. The thread is stretched and opens the kettle's lid- elastic energy to movement.
40. The steam comes out of the kettle and melts the tissue paper- heat energy converted to chemical energy.
41. A weight falls from the tissue and pulls the break of ball (1)- height energy converted to elastic energy.
42. Ball (1) rolls down a tilted surface and hits domino (1)- height energy converted to movement energy.
43. Domino (1) falls and pulls the break of ball (2)- movement energy converted to elastic energy.
44. Ball (2) rolls and hits domino (2)- height energy converted to movement energy.
45. Domino (2) pulls the break of ball (3)- movement energy converted to elastic energy.
46. Ball (3) rolls down a tilted surface with a ramp on its end, it goes and comes back- height energy to movement energy to height energy to movement.
47. The ball falls down a hole and knocks down a set of dominos- momentum of the ball transferred to the set of dominos.
48. The dominos push down a weight that is tied to a coil- momentum of the dominos transferred to the weight.
49. The weight pushes the coil down a tilted surface- height energy to movement energy.
50. The coil pulls a thread that is a part of a pulley mechanism that change the movement direction from the bottom up and enables a small force to trigger a big force of the weight- the pulley system converts height energy to elastic energy and to movement energy.
51. The thread pulls a wooden plank that has a knife attached to it- height energy is converted to movement energy.
52. The plank goes down and cuts a thread that is connected to a pendulum- height energy converted to movement energy.
53. The pendulum releases and spins- circular movement energy around the axis.
54. The pendulum hits a weight- the momentum of the pendulum is passed to the weight.
55. The weight falls onto a horizontal crane- the weight convert height energy to the movement of the horizontal crane.
56. The horizontal crane activates a vertical crane system- the vertical crane system converts movement energy to height energy.
57. The crane system triggers a big vertical crane that tilts the surface that a ball is rested on.
58. The ball rolls down and hits the bottom part of a wooden plank- height energy of the ball converts to movement energy and passes down its momentum to a hammer.
59. The top part of the hammer hits another ball that rolls down a tilted surface- the kinetic energy of the hammer converted to height and movement energy of the ball.
60. The ball hits a copper plate (1) and pushes it to copper plate (2), and thus an electric circuit is activated which contains batteries and a circuit board- chemical energy converted to electric energy.
61. Electric signals pass through the antenna that converts them into radio waves, a part in the toy car receives the radio waves, the car converts electric energy to movements energy.
62. The car drives forward and pushes the disc- momentum of the car passes to the disc.
63. The disc rolls on a custom track that leans on a tilted surface- height energy converted to movement.
64. The disc hits a weight that is tied to a mechanism- momentum of the disc passes to the weight.
65. The weight falls down- height energy of the weight is converted to movement and elastic energy that makes the thread stretch.
66. The elastic energy of the thread makes a movement of a mechanism that spins on its axis, it has element of a pulley and a crane.
67. Height energy of the cereal converts to movement energy of the cereal and it spills to the bowl.
68. Another thread that is connected to a weight converts the elastic energy that is within it to circular movement energy of a mechanism that holds a carton of milk.
69. The milk carton spins on its axis, the carton is lifted- movement energy is converted to height energy.
70. Hydraulic pressure in the tube rises and makes the milk spill into the bowl right after the cereal.
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos