Zip A Zipper
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Elizabeth Nicol and Susan Barlow
What we're studying:
We're homeschoolers so we're studying everything. Examples include simple machines, art, science of movement, physics, team work, spelling, public speaking and drama --- and it all comes together with Rube Goldberg.Why we think we should win:
Because this is our first year building (some of us have been observing other RG machines for years), our machine is very durable and runs consistently well, it's a clean machine with clear steps and looks great, and the concept is very humorous. Also because we're awesome and we have the cows.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Make a glass of lemonade.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Welcome to our Rube Goldberg show! When we thought of zipping a zipper, we thought of the expression "Your barn door is open" (hint, hint: Zip your zipper!) and our machine plays off of that. Enjoy, and vote for us!
Our Step List
Your Barn Door is Wide Open
1) Farmhand who left the barn door open pulls out flag.
1) Tractor rolls out of barn.
2) Tractor tips cows.
3) Cows pile onto lightning-struck branch.
4) Branch swivels, allowing spoon holding fruit to drop the fruit, fruit falls while squirrel scampers up the tree.
5) Fruit impact scares bird, bird flies out of his birdhouse.
6) Bird hits electric pole.
7) Wire zaps horses, horses stampede.
8) Horses hit waterline.
9) Water line pulls out nail from watertower.
10) Water (in the form of marbles) flows down tornado and through river.
11) Water pulls well-bucket down.
12) Windmill turns.
13) String closes “barn door”.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos