Open An Umbrella
Online Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
What we're studying:
Our class just finished studying about work and simple machines. We learned about mechanical advantage and how they are designed to make work easier. This will help us with this project.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
Don't do anything stupid this weekend!Why we think we should win:
We think we should win because we are creative, have a good sense of humor, and are smart.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
An idea for next year's challenge is to spread butter on toast.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
We started with a monumental idea that ended up not working. Our project then began looking more like a bunch of trash duct taped or screwed together. Along the way, our machine went from trash to trophies when it actually worked. This machine includes some simple machines like pulleys, screws, and inclined planes. We used normal household items in absurd ways. Some of these items include rat traps, golf and tennis balls, tissue and toilet paper rolls, cardboard, and pens.
Our Step List
1. Car goes down ramp #1 and hits ball #1
2. Ball #1 falls onto ramp #2 hitting dominoes
3. Dominoes hit ball #2
4. Ball #2 hits a pendulum before rolling down ramp #2 (PVC pipe)
* 5/6 SIMULTANEOUS STEPS *
5. Pendulum swings pushing ball #3 into PVC tube
6. Ball #2 goes into cup #1
7. Cup #1 turns, dropping golf ball and lead fishing weights into yellow funnel to bucket #1
8. Bucket #1 lowers, pulling rope #1 which is attached to cup #2
9. Cup #2 dumps ball #3
10. Ball #3 rolls down spiral hitting balls #4 and #5 ;then goes down spiral
11. Balls #4 and #5 roll into a bucket
12. Bucket (being weighed down) descends to ground hitting Jenga blocks
13. Jenga blocks fall knocking down a chain of books
14. When the last book falls it drops a weight.
15. Weight falls pulling block off of wooden arm
16. Falling block activates the mouse trap
17. Activated mouse trap pulls pen#1 out of PVC pipe.
18. Ball #6 falls into bucket #3
19. Bucket #3 lowers pulling out pen #2
20. Pen #2 releases the hammer to fall
21. Hammer falls hitting umbrella button.
22. Umbrella opens.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos