Turn Off A Light
STEM Forward - WI Regional Machine Contest
Friday, March 06, 2020 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Liberty Foht - invitation signed.
Kaleb Ward - invitation signed.
Kayci Martensen - invitation signed.
Renee Scanlan - invitation signed.
Jackson Klang - invitation signed.
Egle Calderone - invitation signed.
Dawson Hamm - invitation signed.
Kailie Mootz Redfearn - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
In physics we are studying vectors and programming robots, in our Rube Goldberg Club we were exploring the simple machines and finding the best ways to incorporate all of them.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
Uggg - there are only ____ # of days left before competition!!!
When the sun goes down/over the water/we will be sittin on the dock of the bay/knee deep in water somewhere/only worry in the world/is the tide going to reach my chair. Benton Beach Bums are bringing a ray of sunshine to this never ending winter wonderland of Wisconsin. Everything you want on a vacation, golfing, riding the dunes, bungee jumping, parasailing and a frozen concoction or two as you relax under the cabana.
Our Step List
Benton Beach Bums Machine Step List
1. Turn on the record player.
*The record player contains a vinyl record that turns around a set point. In the mechanism there is a motor, that turns a belt around a gear. This simple machine would be a wheel and axle.
2. Attached to the platform of the record player is a popsicle stick that as the record turns it will give a gentle nudge to a beach ball.
3. The beach ball will travel down the ramp.
*The ramp is a simple machine of an inclined plane which is a stationary 1 sided wedge.
4. The beach ball knocks over a series of pink flamingos.
*The pink flamingos are attached to a base with a hinge. Hinges are second class levers which are also simple machines.
5. The final flamingo tips over the treasure map into the golf club.
6.The golf club is a first class wedge that releases a golf ball to swing.
7. The golf ball swings around the cabana’s pole similar to a screw threading its way through a board.
*The screw turns rotational motion into linear motion. So since the ball is attached to a center point. The ball wants to travel in a straight line, but is pulled to the center with centripetal force. This force wraps the string around the cabana’s pole.
8. The swinging golf ball knocks over the tower of purple solo cups.
9. The purple solo cups’ weight lands on one end of a teeter totter lever.
10. The teeter totter lever triggers the mouse trap
11. The mouse trap when it is set, is full of potential energy as a second class lever.
*Then the mouse trap is triggered, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy and the second class lever is converted into a third class lever.
12. The kinetic energy in the mouse trap is enough to move the mouse causing him to run away with the string.
13. The string is attached to our next simple machine - a pulley.
*The pulley is on a swing set for Malibu Ken. He is getting ready to go to the dunes, and wants to see what the weather is like.
14. Ken swings and peaks his head outside
15. The roof has a door set on a hinge which is a second class lever.
16. The door moves the beach ball that was caught on the roof and
17. Since Ken forgot to set the emergency brake in the dune buggy, it overcomes static friction, takes off and crashes into a wall.
18. The hinge on the wall causes the wall to topple into a golf trophy.
19. The Golf trophy falls to the ground due to the gravitational force of the Earth.
20. The string attached to the trophy is also attached to a clothespin, so the weight of the trophy pulls the clothespin off opening up the parasail rope.
21. The crash scares Malibu Barbie who was setting up for some parasailing. She is sliding down a rope into some strong winds. She veers off course.
22. She barely misses the carnival below, and is stopped by the trigger of the high winds.
23. The trigger turns on the fan.
*A fan is a combination of inclined planes (blades) and a wheel and axle (rotation)
24. The wind blown by the fan catches the sails of a nearby boat that was looking for a lost pirate ship.
*The boat is a wedge that separates the water it travels through.
25. The boat tries to dock but high seas sends the passengers scrambling and one of them loses their sunglasses overboard and into the ferris wheel.
26. The ferris wheel begins to turn. The ferris wheel is a wheel and axle simple machine. This ferris wheel has daiquiri and margarita cups stationed around a center pivot. The daiquiri cups are filled with vinegar.
27. As the ferris wheel is turning it pours its frozen concoction into the volcano.
28. The baking soda falls from the cup into our volcano that has vinegar as its magma.
29. The volcano erupts releasing foam from the baking soda and vinegar reacting.
*This is actually a chemical reaction that releases a gas.
30. The streamers for the party get wet from the volcanos explosion and fall apart since they are just a thin paper.
31. Bungee jumping Barbie used her slinky to crash the party.
*The slinky is a type of spring, which is perfect for bungee jumping. Her potential energy is stored in the slinky, which is released into kinetic energy of motion.
32. She triggers the first board as the sun is setting, creating a domino effect for the next 2 boards
33. The boards flip the switch of electricity
34. The interruption of energy causes the light to turn off.
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Verbal Presentation. This is your team’s chance to shine and be creative! We want to hear the story your machine tells, and understand how the steps represent the theme and key elements of your narrative. The Machine Introduction should not be a step-by-step explanation of how the steps work. This is where your personality, humor, and team spirit engages the audience and gets them excited to see your machine.
Our Machine Run Videos