Pour A Bowl of Cereal
San Bernardino County Superintendent of Schools
Saturday, November 04, 2017 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Kevin DeGree - invitation signed.
Alexander Spink - invitation signed.
Tyler Nelson - invitation signed.
Clay Chen - invitation signed.
Logan Mandolini - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
We are currently studying math, physics, wood working, building, basic mechanics, engineering, transfers of energy, simple machines, teamwork, and STEAM.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Kick a soccer ball into a goal.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Lambert Gini woke up and hopped in his Lamborghini to go to school. When he put his ignition key in the car, gas leaked out. So he got out a hammer and tried to fix the car with a hammer, breaking it more. He ran to school because he was late and walked into his first period class, PE. They were playing tennis, but since it got over 100 degrees, they all went inside. The PE teacher turned on a large fan to cool the Gym and the kids, where they played indoor baseball. The fan caught Lambert’s backpack and tore it up. He didn’t notice this while he played baseball and so when he was up to bat, the backpack flew, hitting the baseball. The baseball went on a power line and kept going, hitting a tree and the tree branch went and hit Lambert’s World History class. He walked into the class and and apologized for what happened. He learned about catapults that day in history class. The next period, he went to Physics and learned about turning wheels, doing experiments with marbles and the wheels. He also learned about net force with wheels, screws, and Rube Goldberg machines. The next class he went to was his elective class, engineering, where he programmed an arduino to move cars. He forgot about lunch when the bell rang for lunch because he got into the arduino a lot. He finished up his classes and found the baseball he lost in PE. Lambert rode his bike back home and ran inside. He went to the kitchen and poured a bowl of cereal because he didn’t eat lunch.
Our Step List
1. Stick is pulled out, releasing marbles.
2. Marbles roll into bucket, pulling hammer
3. Hammer hits tennis racket
4. Tennis racket hits tennis ball
5. Tennis ball hits switch
6. Switch turns on fan
7. Fan releases string
8. String allows zip line to move
9. Zip line hits wooden lever
10. Lever hits rotating pivot with a wrecking ball on it
11. Rotating pivot releases wrecking ball
12. Wrecking ball hits moving woodblock
13. Woodblock hits scissors
14. Scissors release catapult
15. Catapult launches marble
16. Marble rolls down into wheel, changing weight distribution to move the wheel
17. Wheel moves and a screw on the wheel hits a wood block
18. Force of screw causes marble to roll down
19. Marble hits arduino
20. Arduino activates the car
21. Car hits baseballs
22. Baseballs fall into a bucket
23. Bucket moves pedal down
24. Pedal rotates wheel
25. Wheel pours cereal into a bowl
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos