Turn Off A Light
Steam Alliance at Parkland
Saturday, March 07, 2020 Setup Time:
7:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Jillian Barlow - invitation signed.
Ava Berkey - invitation signed.
Jeff Chahyadi - invitation signed.
Jesse Kaap - invitation signed.
Abby Weiss - invitation sent
Sam Earls - invitation signed.
Abby Weiss - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
Our group is made up of 7th and 8th graders. We have been studying a variety of subjects, including cartography, legislature, algebra, logic Latin, Spanish, German, and literature. Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"It's Levi-Osa, not Levi-osAH"
-Hermione GrangerWhy we think we should win:
We as a team have grown closer together through overcoming obstacles in the machine, and troubleshooting steps. We have learned how to use our time well since we have to do school, rube, and other activities. We also have many unique steps on our machine, and we enjoy the challenge of rube and spending time together as a team. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
1. Open a book.
2. unplug a plug
3. start a drill
4. throw something away
5. turn on music
6. put a disc in a dvd playerFavorite Rube Goldberg video:
Our machine is a city where a group of employees go to a party thrown by their boss. The machine focuses on what happened to them after they left the party. many strange and/or dangerous things happen to them throughout the night including a train crash, a pig with only one wing running around the subway, a drunk guy jumping off of a building, and eventually, a blackout.
Our Step List
1. Speaker bounces a ping pong ball
2. Ping pong ball hits mousetrap
3. Mouse-trap pulls a barrier away from a 'wrecking ball'
4. 'Wrecking ball' hits a lever
5. Lever pushes car shooter
6. Car shooter launches car
7. Car hits ”tire”
8. Tire falls on lever
9. Lever drops marble into cup
10. Cup pulls platform out from under a pig
11. Pig hits ball
12. Ball falls onto fabric
13. Fabric bounces second ball out
14. Ball hits paper plate piece
15. Plate piece pushes ball
16. Ball hits switch, turning on a motor
17. Fork hits 9 ball
18. 9 ball triggers money slap bracelet
19. Slap bracelet knocks slinky off table
20. Slinky hits car
21. Car hits spoon
22. Marble rolls through track and hits bauble
23. Bauble knocks book over
24. Book hits second book, releasing “orange bird”
25. “Bird” hits wheel loose
26. Wheel knocks over water bottle, making a tape measure
27. Water bottle tips dumping water
28. Water runs into pulley
29. Pulley knocks phone over
30. Phone hits switch, turning off light
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Verbal Presentation. This is your team’s chance to shine and be creative! We want to hear the story your machine tells, and understand how the steps represent the theme and key elements of your narrative. The Machine Introduction should not be a step-by-step explanation of how the steps work. This is where your personality, humor, and team spirit engages the audience and gets them excited to see your machine.
Our Machine Run Videos