Inflate A Balloon and Pop It!
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." -Les BrownWhy we think we should win:
We've put in a lot of effort and we think we have a pretty good run.
We are the BP3000~ Popperazzi !! We stalk balloons around and make them pop!!
Cans and cans of oatmeal, loads and loads of Pringles - you could say we consumed a lot of healthy food during this process. And not to forget rolls and rolls of duct tape (silver, no less) to keep it all together.....Oh, and the balloons! We popped a few just for fun- under the car, over our heads and finally with a screw! We ran a pretty convoluted course - over ramps, inside tubes, crazy u-turns and covered containers...smashing dominos and vats of vinegar....popping ...you guessed it...Balloons !!!
We used all of the simple machines except the lever. We did it in an office, and our machine starts inside the office and ends outside the office.
Our Step List
1. Drop the ball.
2. Ball rolls down an inclined plane.
3. Ball goes through U-turn.
4. Ball rolls into the bottom of the container and knocks it over.
5. Container hits the dominoes.
6. Dominoes hit golf ball.
7. Golf ball rolls down the inclined plane.
8. The golf ball goes down wide tube, then hits big yellow ball.
9. Yellow ball goes down the wide tube.
10. The yellow ball hits the white pipe, which acts as a wedge.
11. The wheel turns, and as it turns the pulley pulls the sign up.
12. The balloon has baking soda in it already and now gets filled with vinegar.
13. The chemical reaction causes the balloon to inflate.
14. The balloon pops by inflating on screws.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos