Put Money in a Piggy Bank
Sunday, March 31, 2019 Setup Time:
9:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Edmund Tsou - invitation signed.
Sebastian Uszynski - invitation signed.
Young Toby - invitation signed.
Gautam Gupta - invitation signed.
Colin Zhao - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
PhysicsWhy we think we should win:
Because we put a lot of effort into our project.
The pirates consult a map to try to find the treasure. They test fire a canon and roll all the barrels full of supplies on board. Then they set sail and the navigate through a rocky patch in the sea, but when they reach the whirlpool, the scales do not tip in their favor and they and all of their gold go spirally down to the depths of the ocean.
Our Step List
1. A person pulls a string that drops a wooden block.
2. The bar magnet (leaning on the wooden block) falls to the ground.
3. The bar magnet is now close enough to a magnetic ball to attract it, pulling the ball towards the bar magnet.
4. As the magnetic ball moves forward, it pulls a string that is attached to a barrier which keeps a ball from traveling through a tube. This raises the barrier.
5. When the barrier is raised, the metal ball at the top of the tube is free to go through the tube. The ball travels across the treasure map to the spot marked X.
6. At the X, the ball hit a cannon, setting an upward ramp in motion.
7. The cannon hits a series of four “barrels” that move up the ramp.
8. The top barrel hits the ship – the Toby – which continues down a ramp to the locks.
9. The gate at the locks hits a larger ship – the Tobias - gently tapping the Tobias just enough that it moves slightly forward where is gets caught in a strong ocean breeze (fan).
10. The strong ocean breeze (fan), propels the Tobias out into the ocean to a jetty of rocks, one of which (golf ball) gets hit and rolls down a ramp.
11. The rock (golf ball) falls into one side of the pan balance, raising the other side up to hit a water wheel.
12. The water wheel pulls a rope attached to a ruler, pulling the bottom of the ruler back as the top of the ruler moves forward.
13. The ruler hits the gold doubloon that falls into the whirlpool (vortex bank).
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos