Put Money in a Piggy Bank
Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh
Sunday, March 03, 2019 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Apprentice - Ages 8 - 11 (Elementary School)
Cooper Lucas - invitation signed.
Blake Neal - invitation signed.
Keith Steele - invitation signed.
Jack Antonetti - invitation sent
Adam Baloga - invitation signed.
Cole Hughes - invitation signed.
Cole Hughes - invitation sent
Leeam Aivalotis - invitation signed.
Noah Leininger - invitation signed.
Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Our machine starts with a trolley going through the Fort Pitt Tunnel. As it exits the tunnel the trolley knocks over a picture of the city of Pittsburgh. The picture has a string connected to a wooden peg, as the picture falls; the peg is pulled out, releasing the Bat mobile. The Bat mobile then falls into a tomato soup can. Then the can is connected by string and pulley to a Jolly Roger flag. As the can falls, the Jolly Roger raises. On its way up the Jolly Roger hits a smiley emoticon through a series of bridges. Once through the bridges the emoticon falls into a Ferris wheel. The Ferris wheel spins, pulling a string connected to a Heinz ketchup bottle. As the string pulls marbles are released from the ketchup bottle into a funnel and through a twisted series of tubes. Once at the end of the tubes, the marbles fall into a Big Mac container on a pan balance. The weight of the marbles pushes down the pan balance, lowering a stick, which releases our coin down a track and into our piggy bank.
Our Step List
1. Trolley goes through tunnel
2. Trolley knocks Picture of Pittsburgh over
3. String on picture pulls Peg releasing car into can
4. Can goes down and raises jolly roger
5. Jolly roger moves smiley ball
6. Smiley ball goes though bridges
7. Smiley ball lands in Ferris wheel
8. Ferris wheel spins pulling peg under ketchup bottle
9. Ketchup bottle tilts and releases marbles
10. Marbles go through tube
11. Marbles fall in Big Mac container
12. Big Mac container lowers on pan balance.
13. Stick is lowered and coin is released.
14. Coin goes down ramp into bank!
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos