Put Money in a Piggy Bank
Hoffman Estates High School
Saturday, February 23, 2019 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Apprentice - Ages 8 - 11 (Elementary School)
Angela Hoang - invitation sent
Harshil Joshi - invitation sent
Tyler Marchese - invitation signed.
Borys Sepko - invitation sent
David Shu - invitation signed.
Angela Hoang - invitation sent
Harshil Joshi - invitation signed.
Borys Sepko - invitation signed.
Angela Hoang - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
The 4 C's: Creativity, Communication, Collaboration, and Critical Thinking
Our Rube Goldberg machine represents the evolution of video games from Pong to Pokémon Go and all kinds of popular games in between.
It is 2019 and we have entered a video game time warp in the form of a Rube Goldberg machine!
We have received a magical gaming card that will take us through the awesomeness of video games….
Upon inserting the card of awesomeness… we travel back in time to the visit the classic game of PONG! Bouncing around from side to side we make it to the end only to be transported to PAC MAN.
As PAC MAN dodges the ghosts through the maze we safety arrive at DONKEY KONG!
In trying to escape the flying barrels thrown by the monkey we enter the world of MARIO.
As Mario we run through the mario course and advance to Zelda.
The dungeons in Zelda are no match for us as we search to collect the tri-force.
Successfully we are transported to MINECRAFT where we are digging deep to find the minerals – hopefully diamonds to activate the mine-cart.
We swing into action in Spiderman’s city Queens New York to defeat the Green Goblin.
Only to be thrown into Madden’s NFL field of play and score a touchdown.
This starts the MARIOCART race. Our car finishes in 1st place and activates the Poke’ Ball, a valuable resource used as currency to catch the tricky Pokémon’s.
We collect our Poke ‘ball in the Pikachu Piggy Bank! Success! We have money to play another round in our video game time warp machine!
Our Step List
1. Game Starts - Insert the cardboard card in the game slot, the string is pulled and releases a ball-bearing "Pong" ball.
2. Pong - The ball bearing travels down the track hitting a line of dominoes and pushes the golf ball "Pan -Man"
3. Pac Man - The "Pac-Man golf ball works through the ramps until it reaches the hole at the bottom and hits a piece of card board.
4. Donkey Kong - The Pac Man golf ball enters another series of ramps and rolls over a string attached to a piece of foam which pull it away and releases a bouncy ball.
5. Super Mario Bros. - The bouncy ball rolls through a tube which hits a ruler.
6. Zelda - A ruler is connected to a washer, then the washer is removed letting a ball bearing roll down from track to track. The ball bearing is ricocheted hitting the yellow wooded hexagons which fall into the golf ball. The golf ball has a string attached which is positioned below the pick-ax in Minecraft.
7. Minecraft - A piece of cardboard shaped like a pick-ax falls down a series of cardboard blocks and hits a car "Mine-Cart"
8. Spider-Man - The car hits a string which releases the Spider-Man ping-pong ball which travel through a maze of sticks hitting a ping-pong ball
9. Madden NFL - The ping-pong ball football hits a row of dominoes and knocks over a tower of dominoes hitting a car "a Mario-cart"
10. Mario Kart 8 - the car drives into a cup activating a pulley.
11. Pokémon Go - the pulley lifts the ramp for the Poke Ball to roll down.
12. Pickachu - The Pokeball "money in this gaming world" rolls into the Pickachu Bank... MONEY IN THE BANK
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos