Put Money in a Piggy Bank
Online Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Austin Kaminow - invitation signed.
Russell Lubin - invitation signed.
Ariana Ravitz - invitation signed.
Isaac Nadaner - invitation signed.
Julia Peppe - invitation signed.
Ari Schlactus - invitation signed.
Josie Levine - invitation sent
Maya Bellas - invitation sent
Aviva Brickman - invitation sent
What we're studying:
The ususal stuff (English, History, Science, Math) and also Programming, Art, Talmud, Robotics, 3D Printing, and Music, Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"To know is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge." - SocratesWhy we think we should win:
Our machine has a novel design in which steps are partially activated and then completely activated by a second action seconds later. And we are adorable.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Launching a rocketFavorite Rube Goldberg video:
Our Rube Goldberg machine is designed around the popular Hasbro board game, “Monopoly.” Built on a square of nine 2x2 wooden boards, our machine features a large variety of steps relying on gravity, vibrations, water pressure, momentum, and electricity, just to name a few. The boards are all painted with the nostalgic Monopoly seafoam green and have a scaled monopoly board designed and painted onto them, the product of over 20 hours of work. The machine is centered around a repurposed K’NEX roller coaster that travels around the monopoly board, activating steps as it goes by, representing a player piece making its way through the game. Rather than traditionally putting money into a piggy bank, we decided to spice up the final step by having a pulley system raise the piggy bank up into money. Our machine was built around challenging norms and changing the way we think about how a machine should be built. We hope you enjoy our new take on how to put money into a piggy bank.
Our Step List
1. Turn on machine, making car start going
2. Car hits pole, making it move up
3. Pole hits ball, making it fall down the mountain, representing a Mediterranean island
4. Ball hits dominoes
5. Last domino hits teeter-totter, moving it into place for the car to hit
6. Car hits teeter-totter, making it move
7. Teeter-totter hits golf ball, which sends it down the jail ramp
a. Golf ball hits jail, allowing the prisoner to get out of jail
b. Golf ball hits another golf ball
8. Golf ball lands on wire connecting to motor on top of battery, making the motor turn on
9. Motor turns on and string begins to be pulled by the motor
10. Car hits away pole which is restricting the motor from pulling string
11. String pulls metal strip from under the car, which allows the car to move forward
a. Car goes down ramp and hits another car
12. The second car turns on surge protector which activates the fan
13. Fan turns on
a. Fan blows snow through tunnel (because Illinois has blizzards)
14. Air from fan blows on scale causing scale to go down
15. Balls on other side of scale begin to roll through the hole
16. Ball rolls down and hits lever in place for car to hit
17. Car hits lever, turning it
18. Lever turning pulls on string, which pulls bucket down
19. Water from bucket pours into Tupperware
20. Water fills up above the height of the straw, pushing the water out of the straw and into the container
21. Container find with water, which weighs it down
22. Container pulls weight off of tower
23. Weight falls and pulls piggy bank up into the money
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos