Open An Umbrella
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Mark Van Zant
What we're studying:
Junior High Physics. Effects of Gravity, Friction, Newtons Laws, Types of Energy & Motion.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Thats what Im talkin' about!"Why we think we should win:
The Nerf war industry has always been about having the best offense. We all know living in America, that our greatest deterrent to evil is a great Defense. We believe its time to change the Nerf war world by bringing in a little defense to the game. That is why we created the Nerf Defense Machine (NDM).
The ultimate defense machine for siblings armed with Nerf Guns. Simply lean back in your chair and watch their surprise as you effortlessly defend their scheming attacks.
Our Step List
1. Student leans back on chair pulling String
2. Sting pivots pencil sitting on table to release metal ball
3. Metal ball drops in hole in table into a pvc tube that empties under the table
4. Metal ball hits piece of wood standing up that has a string tied to it. Wood falls over pulling string
5. String is pulled that is holding another metal ball from rolling down a track.
6. 2nd Metal ball rolls down track with a 360 loop and ejects off the track hitting another piece of wood.
7. 2nd piece of wood falls over and lands on a taught string.
8. Taught string is pulled by wood falling on it. The other end of the string is tied to a screw holding a soft ball in place
9. Soft ball is released down a v-groove wood track at an angle that ejects off the track and hits another piece of standing wood.
10. Standing wood piece has a cord tied to it that is connected to a wheel on top of the table. When wood falls over, the wheel gets pulled from the table.
11. The wheel has another cord tied to it connected to the hammer/lever contraption sitting on the table. The weight of the wheel falling to the floor pulls the lever contraption down abruptly.
12. Lever/Hammer contraption falls down abruptly stopping on a piece of wood that causes a hinged hammer to fly forward
13. Hammer fly's forward and precisely hits button of umbrella attached to lever to release the umbrella as a shield.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos