Hammer A Nail
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
Simple machines, how they work, and how they can be put together to complete a task.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Acceptance of what has happened is the first step in overcoming anything."Why we think we should win:
We worked really hard on the project, and it involved a lot of problem solving. It was extremely rewarding when it finally worked.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
1. Open a Door
2. Write Something
3. Turn on a LightFavorite Rube Goldberg video:
Welcome to the Chesapeake Academy team page. We worked extremely hard on putting together a machine that can successfully and consistently hammer a nail. We hope you enjoy!
Our Step List
1. A saw is pulled by a student seeking to hammer a nail in an ambitious, albeit circuitous, manner.
2. A string attached to the saw, which is attached to a nail, moves with the saw, causing the nail to dislodge from its resting place.
3. A golf ball begins to roll down a PVC track as the nail is removed. The ball changes direction twice as it falls, and continues to roll, onto different segments of track.
4. A pulley made of two small, red cups awaits the ball at the end of its run. As the ball falls into one of the cups and propels it downward, a string attached to the cup is pulled along with it.
5. A nail attached to the string is pulled out, causing a second golf ball to begin rolling down a new section of PVC track.
6. When the ball reaches the end of the track, it falls onto a piece of PVC track that is free to pivot at its center. While the ball falls, the PVC track acts as a lever, and the other side moves upwards.
7. The upward force of the lever taps a second lever from below, causing a third golf ball to begin yet another short journey.
8. The golf ball collides with a pendulum constructed from a tennis ball suspended on a string, and upon contact, the tennis ball begins to swing forward.
9. As the tennis ball swings forward, it collides with a plastic cup, and hidden inside is a small marble.
9. Jostled by the collision, the marble makes its way out of the cup, and begins to roll down a much smaller piece of PVC track.
10. The marble gathers momentum until it reaches the bottom of the track. Here the marble flys off, hits a snare drum (BANG!), and bounces right back onto a new track.
11. The marble reaches the end of this track, and hits the fourth, and final, golf ball, causing the ball to fall from the table.
12. The golf ball then hits the end of a long lever, causing the hammer to raise up. As the ball rolls off the back of the lever, the hammer falls downward, falling in such a way that it HAMMERS A NAIL!
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos