Zip A Zipper
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
8th grade is all about physical science, so we spend the first semester learning about physics (forces, motion, energy) and the second semester learning about chemistry (elements, compounds, chemical reactions).Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Everything has its wonders."Why we think we should win:
We worked really hard on our project, and we believe that we used a variety of different energy changes and materials.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Peel a Banana!Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Welcome to Chesapeake Academy's Rube Goldberg Page. This is the second year our school has submitted an entry into the contest, and we really hope you enjoy what we've put together.
Our Step List
1. A person pulls a release support that prevents a race car from moving down the track.
2. With the car free to move, it rolls down the track, and because there is a string attached to the car, the car pulls out a second support as it moves forward.
3. The support pulled out by the car causes a ramp to drop, releasing marbles down a series of cardboard tubes.
4. The marbles than hit a small pin, which brings to marbles to a stop, but pushes on a golf ball that begins rolling the rest of the way down the track.
5. The golf ball hits the "swinger," a piece allowed to rotate upon being hit by the ball, which transfers its energy to a new golf ball that proceeds down a series of bamboo switchbacks.
6. At the bottom of the switchbacks, the second golf ball hits a new "swinger," which causes the golf ball to stop and a series of dominoes to be knocked over.
7. The two paths of dominoes race to the finish line, where they meet and knock down a support that holds up a trio of golf balls.
8. With the support missing, the golf balls roll down a ramp and into a tube. The golf balls land on remote controller, and their combined weight cause the RC car to start driving forward.
9. The RC car drives towards the end of the table, where it knocks a group of fishing weights off the table, while the car is stopped just before going over by a length of string.
10. The weights, which are attached to a zipper hung upside-down, fall of the table and cause a zipper to be zipped!
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos