Pour A Bowl of Cereal
Society of Women Engineers - Baltimore Washington
Saturday, January 20, 2018 Setup Time:
9:30 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Riley Sherwin - invitation signed.
Elizabeth Simpson - invitation signed.
Mira Loomis - invitation signed.
Erin Kreis - invitation signed.
Genevieve Sullivan - invitation signed.
Katherine thor Straten - invitation signed.
Ivy Hammett-Aron - invitation signed.
amber stephen - invitation signed.
Logan Nix - invitation signed.
Ashleigh Jankowski - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
We studied 3D printing in order to model and print our own pieces. We used our school's laser cuter in order to print key chains for fundraising. We had to learn to work as a team with people we did not know, and how to coordinate meetings and jobs for out machine.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek"-Barack ObamaWhy we think we should win:
We have put our best into this machine. We committed to it almost everyday after school. Everyone has dedicated so much time and effort to make this machine to the best of our abilities. We've had breakthroughs and mental blocks, but we always persevered. We have learned new techniques and applied them to this machine. Whenever something did not work, we did not give up. We revised our steps and tried again. While this was a strenuous task, we managed to make new friends and have found skills that will help us later in life.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Push some bread into a toaster and 'turn on" the toaster.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
A killer is loose in a town and is taking civilian's cereal! As a defensive measure, an engineer creates a machine to keep her and her roommate safe. But one horrific night puts the machine to the test. As the killer leaves the scene, she tries to snatch some cereal without realizing she was sealing her fate.
Our Step List
1. Cereal box is tipped over which causes the water to be poured on the plants and the can to fall
2. The can falls down the ramp into the tin
3. The tin falls to the ground causing the blinds to go up and the pan to spin
4. The pan hits the marble at the top of the track
5. The pan also hits a lower pan that pushes an egg down a track into a frying pan
6. The marble rolls down six tracks into a cabinet
7. The marble hits a spoon on a Wheel of Spoons
8. The spoon then hits another marble that rolls out of the cabinet and down a ramp
9. The marble hits a cup knocking it off the ramp
10. The cup falls and pulls a mug down with it
11. The mug, as it falls, pulls on a string that unrolls the net across the doorway
12. The mug falls down a zipline
13. At the end of the zipline, the mug hits a tennis ball
14. The tennis ball falls through a box and bumps a toy car
15. The toy car pushes a marble
16. The marble falls into a funnel in our sink and falls through the tube
17. The marble falls out of the tube and into a container on the end of a lever
18. The lever tips and releases a wound-up toy car
19. The toy car runs into a piece of wood that is holding up a blade
20. The blade falls and cuts a thread that is attached to a can on a ramp
21. The can rolls down the ramp and hits a car with a Barbie on top
22. The Barbie knocks over a Coca-Cola bottle
23. The bottle pours water onto some toilet paper
24. The toilet paper gets soaked through and a can sitting on top is released
25. The can falls and pulls a string that is attached to a rod
26. The rod is holding up the cereal box and milk container, when the rod is pulled the cereal is poured
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos