Apply A BAND-AID®
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Friday, March 10, 2017 Setup Time:
8:30 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
What we're studying:
PhysicsOur Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Good enough for what it's for."Why we think we should win:
It's not about winning, it's about the learning experience.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Assemble LegosFavorite Rube Goldberg video:
While on an adventure in Candyland, Willy Wonka fell and cut his face. The only way he could heal was if a Band-Aid was slapped on his head. With the help of the candy, Willy Wonka will be alright! First, a ball is dropped down two ramps through hitting sponges. After hitting the second sponge, the ball hits a row of dominoes which hits a metal ball off at the end. The metal ball lands on a lever with a nail at the other end, which is used to pop a balloon. An orange ball falls from the balloon and hits a weight off of the end of the metal ramp. The weight, with a string attached to it, falls and causes a bucket to lift up. The bucket then hits a flying weight off of a string and it flies to the opposite wall into a row of dominoes. The dominoes hit another weight off of the platform, connected to a wireless remote. The remote causes a remote control car to drive forward and run into a golf ball. The golf ball then falls down into a tube with a toy car at the end. When hit, the car drives down a track and falls into a bucket, connected to a lever with a pulley. The lever tilts up, causing a ball to roll down into a plastic cup. The cup opens on impact and lets the ball through to hit a golf ball. The golf ball then hits a small weight off, which is connected to a pair of scissors. They close, cutting a string with a 500 gram weight on it. The weight falls into a razor which cuts the second string. When the weight falls off, the lever goes down on the side of two grouped weights. Then the grouped weights fall and lift the lollipop with a Band-Aid on it through a connecting pulley system. The Band-Aid sticks to Willy Wonka’s face, and his cut is healed!
Our Step List
1. A ball is rolled down a ramp and bounces off a sponge.
2. The ball rolls down another ramp and hits another sponge.
3. Once hitting the sponge, the ball hits a domino.
4. The domino hits a row of dominoes.
5. The last domino hits a metal ball off of the platform.
6. The metal ball hits a lever with a nail at the end of it.
7. The nail hits a balloon and pops it, releasing an orange ball.
8. The orange ball rolls down a metal ramp and hits a weight tied to a bucket through a pulley system.
9. The weight falls and lifts the bucket upward.
10. The bucket hits another weight off of a string connected to the opposing wall.
11. The flying weight then hits a domino.
12. The domino hits a row of dominoes.
13. The last domino hits a weight off the platform, which is connected to a wireless remote.
14. The remote moves and causes a remote control car to drive forward.
15. The car drives into a golf ball at the end of the platform.
16. The golf ball falls into a tube and hits a toy car at the end.
17. The toy car goes down a track and falls into a bucket attached to a pulley system and a yellow track.
18. The yellow track tilts, causing a ball to fall off.
19. The ball hits a plastic cup, which opens.
20. The ball falls through the open cup and hits a golf ball.
21. The golf ball hits a weight off of the platform, which is connected to a pair of scissors.
22. The weight causes the scissors to close, cutting a string with a 500 gram weight on it.
23. The 500 gram weight falls yet remains attached to a string, which gets cut again by a razor.
24. The absence of the 500 gram weight causes the lever to tilt, dropping the opposite grouped weights.
25. The grouped weights are connected to the lollipop with a Band-Aid through a pulley system, and when the weights fall, the lollipop swings upward and applies the Band-Aid to Willy Wonka’s face.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos