Open An Umbrella
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
In our Technology, Engineering, & Design cycle, we studied mechanics and structural engineering. We focused on compound machines and the effects of individual parts on the whole. We explored open and closed-loop systems and learned to identify them in everyday items. Our class ended with the Rube Goldberg Inc. Challenge. This challenge tested our knowledge of the Engineering Design Process, as well as our ability to troubleshoot and refine our designs. Our team learned a lot from this project, but mostly not to give up (even if our machine fails a thousand times). Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Don't forget your safety goggles" and "Be careful with the hot glue gun". Why we think we should win:
Our machine should win because we won against 8 other competitors at our school. Our school hosted a Rube Goldberg Exhibition and the machine with the most votes (our machine) advanced to this Rube Goldberg Inc. Online Contest. Ultimately, we worked extremely hard on our machine since we had a limited amount of time to design, build, and test our project. We also feel we should win this competition because our team would enjoy making and submitting another design next year!
Suggestion for next year's challenge:
We think it would be cool if next year's challenge was to strum a guitar, turn on a light switch, or fan. Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Our machine is modeled after a construction site. We chose this theme because we wanted to capture the chaos that a small mistake could compound into at a construction site.
We hope you enjoy our machine! Vote for us!
Our Step List
1. The car rolls down wooden track hitting the dominoes.
2. The dominoes fall pushing a wooden ball down a paper towel roll.
3. The wooden ball rolls down a tube, and falls into a cup that is attached to another cup by a pulley.
4. The cup gets pulled down, causing a marble to fall out of the second cup.
5. The marble falls out of cup, and into a metal tube.
6. The marble hits into legos causing the legos to fall.
7. The last lego is attached to a weight and a pulley system. When the weight falls, it pulls a wooden block up.
8. When the block goes up, it allows a tire to roll down a path.
9. The tire hits a marble which then goes through a plastic marble track.
10. The marble hits a heavy car causing it to roll down a ramp.
11. The car knocks a block of wood causing a weight (attached to a string) to fall.
12. When the weight falls, it pulls a block of wood down.
13. When the block falls down, it releases a hammer.
14. The hammer swings and hits another weight causing it to fall down a path.
15. The weight falls onto the button on the umbrella causing it to open.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos