Pour A Bowl of Cereal
Online Apprentice - Ages 8 - 11 (Elementary School)
Owen Brady - invitation signed.
Matt McKee - invitation signed.
Faith Etapa - invitation signed.
Joey Hughes - invitation signed.
Maya Cisneros - invitation signed.
Madelyn Goodwill - invitation signed.
Seam Meierkort - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
During Science class, we learned about the different types of simple machines. We also learned about different types of energy such as kinetic and potential. Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
“Trial and error, You just have to keep going, never give up and believe in yourself.” Why we think we should win:
We should win because we showed lots of teamwork, creative, and listened to each other’s ideas. We never gave up, and we had a good time creating the machine. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Open a book, open a bottle, put water into a bottle, or put toothpaste on a toothbrushFavorite Rube Goldberg video:
The Creative Crew made an out of the box Rube Goldberg Machine. Our theme was rainbow. We utilized many ramps and swings. We incorporated numerous marbles, rainbow balls, and golf balls. We used wooden planks, and dominos. Some of our structures were built out of Straw Builders© that highlighted are theme of rainbow and held up three of our ramps for the marbles to roll down. We also used K’nex© for many different things such as swings to hit the dominos and to knock over a large cereal box, built a lever for the cereal box to pour the cereal, and built a wheel to send the car down the ramp. We made ramps out of different colors of paper to add to our theme. We also used colored paper to decorate the machine. For example, we put paper on the wooden planks to represent a rainbow, marble rainbow paper to cover the wood planks, styrofoam, and shoe box lid. As you can see, our machine was a very creative and colorful machine.
Our Step List
1. The marble is dropped down the ramp.
2. The marble hits the rubber ball.
3. The rubber ball goes down the wooden ramp, rolls onto the table, and bounces off the wooden board.
4. The rubber ball bounces into the next rubber ball which is sitting on the edge of the table.
5. The rubber ball falls into the shoe box and rolls into the marble.
6. The marble falls through the hole on the bottom of the shoe box.
7. The marble rolls down the first pink ramp and hits the next marble.
8. The next marble rolls down the second pink ramp and through the colored tube and lands on the red ramp.
9. The marble rolls down the red ramp and hits a dominio.
10. The dominio falls down releasing the swinging arm.
11. The swinging arm swings into the row of dominios.
12. The line of dominos fall onto each other.
13. The last domino falls, causing the wheel to turn.
14. When the wheel turns, one of spokes causes the car to roll down the wooden ramp.
15. The car rolls down the orange ramp crashing into the golf ball.
16. The golf ball has a string attached to another golf ball which is sitting on the table's edge. As it rolls across the floor it pulls down the golf ball from the table.
17. The golf ball falls down to the floor bouncing onto the shoebox lid causing the K'nex bar to fall.
18. The weighted bar is released swinging into the first cereal box.
19. The first cereal box falls onto the lever, causing the the end of the second cereal box to tip up.
20. The cereal from the second box pours into the cereal bowl.
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos