Apply A BAND-AID®
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
In class, we are currently studying hydraulics, pneumatics, and simple machines systems.
Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
“Never believe atoms - they make up everything!”Why we think we should win:
We incorporated a vast amount of knowledge about physics. We used creative ideas. To add to our machine, we researched online and found original and interesting steps - Pythagoras cup, brachistochrone. We also created our own switch, using unlikely items.
One of our favourite parts of our machine is that we created a number of humourous video game names, in order to avoid copyright infringement (for example: Ouii - Ultra Bash Guys instead of Wii - Super Smash Bros).
And finally, because we’re awesome!Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Filling a water bottle, raise a flag
Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Our machine is designed around the theme of a teenage boy’s room. We go to an all-boys school and thought that this would be the best way to represent ourselves in our machine.
We have included many elements of our lives in our steps - video games, toys, computers, school stationery, books, and laundry.
Some of the other elements in our machine are a little less commonly found in our own rooms, but the mousetrap and Halloween hand could both be found in someone’s messy or rodent-infested room!
Our Step List
1. Turn on a lamp
2. Lamp melts coconut oil
3. Melted coconut oil releases tennis ball
4. Tennis ball rolls down a ramp, falls into Pythagoras cup
5. Pythagoras cup
6. Water fills paper cup
7. Cup descends, due to added mass
8. Cup pulls string, which sets off video game dominoes
9. Final video game falls, pulling string on switch
10. Switch turns on fan
11. Fan pushes a glider down a ramp
12. Glider hits wood tower
13. Tower tumbles
14. Top piece pulls on laundry line
15. Laundry line releases wooden block from the brachistochrone
16. Ball rolls down brachistochrone and tube
17. Ball hits mousetrap
18. Mousetrap is set off, flinging a book closed
19. The book applies the band-aid to the arm
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos