Pour A Bowl of Cereal
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign: Engineering Open House 2018
Friday, March 09, 2018 Setup Time:
7:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Mark William Butcher
Alexander Baylor - invitation signed.
Brenna Young - invitation signed.
Caleb Carrigan - invitation signed.
Keagan Krippel - invitation signed.
Paige Zolnierek - invitation signed.
Gage Brust - invitation signed.
Michael McNicholas - invitation signed.
Matthew Tungett - invitation signed.
Marley Stubblefield - invitation signed.
Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."Why we think we should win:
We should win because it is the instructor's last year teaching. So, we should go out with a bang, and a win!Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Open a can
Our machine follows a morning routine, from the time someone wakes up, until it is time for breakfast! Like most mornings, our machine begins in the bedroom, waking somebody up. Then, our machine goes to the bathroom, skips the third level and goes to the garage. After the garage, our machine revisits the third floor kitchen to pour the perfect bowl of cereal.
Our Step List
1. A car rolls down a track, removes the blanket for an action figure, and hits the green & blue rotation lever.
2. The green & blue rotation lever rotates and hits a golf ball.
3. The golf ball is propelled forward and activates the lever tower.
4. The lever tower pushes a small ball down the tube slide.
5. The small ball falls into a pink paper net and spins the popsicle stick wheel.
6. The popsicle stick wheel will attract the magnetic seesaw.
7. The magnetic seesaw will release a car.
8. The car will slam into a second rotation lever.
9. The rotation lever will send a change of clothes sliding down a closeline.
10. The clothes knock a marble into a marble course.
11. The marble will roll past an awaiting bathtub, exit the course, and push a weight over the edge.
12. The weight will swing down, trigger a drop release, and reveal an opening garage door.
13. The drop release will drop a weight onto a second lever tower.
14. The lever tower will send a marble down a slope and drop it into a second, larger seesaw.
15. The larger seesaw will activate another seesaw and send our last marble down a runway.
16. The marble will hit a weight off the edge of the Rube.
17. The weight will fall and activate a quick release.
18. The quick release drops a heavy weight into the cereal bowl, causing a spoon to slip into the bowl as well.
19. The cereal bowl pushes down onto the a lever and drops a counter weight.
20. The counter weight falls and pours the milk and cereal into the bowl.
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos