Put Money in a Piggy Bank
Black & Veatch
Saturday, March 02, 2019 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Noah Bootle - invitation signed.
Collin Thomas - invitation signed.
Ella Beth - invitation signed.
Dawna Hudiburg - invitation signed.
Noah Larsen` - invitation sent
Oliver Witt - invitation signed.
Elijah Self - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
We are learning about the engineering design process and project management using simple machines to build a Rube Goldberg machine. We are learning how to collaborate with others, communicate between classes, problem solving and grit. Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
Plan it first!!!!
Draw it out!!!
Use the Engineering Design Process
No, you can not shoot the nerf gun.
Dawna and Ella hear their parents talking about needing money for their taxes. Like all 6 year olds, they want to help their parents out. They decide to plan a bank heist to get money to help their parents pay their taxes. Dawna and Ella devise a plan to rob a bank. They create a 3D model of their heist that includes fast cars, wall climbing, daring escapes and adventure around every turn. At the end, Dawna and Ella escape in their piggy bank getaway car with their cash.
Our Step List
1. Launch car onto track
2. Car goes up ramp and through T-Rex's mouth
3. Car sets off domino reaction
4. Dominos hit mouse trap that pulls a string
5. String moves a golf tee releasing a ping pong ball
6. Ping Pong ball goes down inclined plane and hits another tee
7. Golf tee release 2nd ping pong ball which rolls down incline plane and hits another tee
8. Golf tee releases 3rd ping pong ball which rolls down incline plane and hits another tee
9. Golf tee releases 4th and final ping pong ball which rolls down incline plan
10. Last ping-pong ball falls off shelf and through the slinky
11. Ping Pong ball and slinky hit lever pulling attached string
12. String tips over playing cards
13. Playing cards pull string balsa wood wedge off marble run
14. Ball bearing rolls down and through marble run screw
15. Hits a larger marble activating a lever
16. Large marble rolls down lever
17. A ball bearing is knocked off an electrical switch
18. Electrical switch turns on the motor
19. Motor pulls string attached to a golf tee with a marble as a wedge
20. Marble wedge acts as an axil allowing the golf tee to release the tilt-a wheel and kick ball
21. Kickball falls and hits Mr. Potato Head
22. Mr. Potato Head jumps off bed pulling string
23. String triggers Nerf gun
24 Nerf Bullet pulls PVC wedge out from under toy box lid
25. Army men sitting on lid fall
26. String attached to Army men pulls Jeep off window ledge
27. Jeep attached to a string swings baseball bat forward
28. Baseball bat knocks ball off bookcase
30. Baseball pulls wooden wedge off top shelf of bookcase
31. Top shelf of bookcase falls becoming an incline plane
32. Golf ball rolls down incline plane and lands on button
33. Button releases car with wedge
34. Wedge releases half shelf turning into inclined plane
35. Tennis ball rolls down incline plane
36. Ball knocks down wooden books
37. Books knock golf ball off shelf
38. Ball swings on string and hits domino to set off marble run
39. Marble rolls down track into a funnel
40. Funnel channels marble to set off mouse trap
41. Mouse trap release metal peg (wedge) from coin run.
42. Three nickels run down inclined plane into piggy bank.
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos