Apply A BAND-AID®
Utah AFA Aerospace Ed Found/Northern Utah Chap-Div I
Wednesday, January 18, 2017 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
We are a Technology based Charter school with official STEM recognition from the State of Utah. We love to explore anything STEM related and we try and tie the Engineering Process into everything we do!Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Education is not learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think."
-Albert EinsteinWhy we think we should win:
We were given this mighty task just 10 days ago. We took on the challenge, and worked tirelessly to complete a train ride through time. Our team has worked extremely well together, building things at home, creating at school and collaborating via Google Classroom to get things done!
We are Full STEM Ahead! Our machine depicts a time traveling train through different time periods. Our Time Machine Train travels through prehistoric Dinosaur time, on to The Wild West, then on to our current digital age, and ending in the future! Come take a journey with us through time, Full STEM ahead!
Our Step List
1. We flip a switch causing a transfer of energy from us to the switch.
2. The switch winds up a string, pulling a pin from our 2 catapults. One catapult causes the ashes from our volcano to fly and the other hits the train into motion.
3. The train flies down the track through prehistoric time, hitting the dinosaur.
4. The dinosaur falls, causing the lever that it sits on to fall onto the half pipe full of marbles.
5. The marbles spill down into the swampy depths, hitting a wire switch,causing a pulley to start reeling in a train.
6. The train is reeled in to the end of the wild west track, hitting a bolder.
7. The bolder rolls down a half pipe, hitting a slide, and hitting into a remote switch.
8. The lever puts the Modern train into motion, at the end of the track the train hits a lever.
9. This lever falls, which is attached to a remote switch. The weight from the lever pulls down, causing the train from the future to pull ahead.
10. The train runs to the end of the track, crashing into a dead end, with a bandaid ready to patch it up.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos