Apply A BAND-AID®
Online Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
What we're studying:
GCA is an all-honors/AP college preparatory high school. We are taking all the regular classes during the week, and then spending Friday afternoons building this crazy Rube Goldbeg machine.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
He has so many, it is hard to choose just one. "Are you crying? There's no crying in physics." "I made like infinity of those at scout camp." "Go home and rethink your life." "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." "You're not in trouble, kid - you're dead where you stand." "Life comes at you pretty fast. If you don't slow down once in a while, you might miss it." "It's not plastic, it's a terrylium carbonic alloy." "I am speed. I am lightning!" Why we think we should win:
1. Our machine has a great theme that really reflects our campus.
2. Our machine uses many different electrical devices and lots of power.
3. Our machine uses both Lego Mindstorm and Arduino controllers.
4. Our machine appeals to three senses: sight, sound, and smell (the fog!)
5. We used genuine Band-Aid bandages (note the box in the walk around video).Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Take a photo with a camera and display it on a laptop.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
"Gilbert Haunted Academy" is a spoof on our beloved but somewhat dilapidated campus. The awesome misadventure all starts when a trainload of new students runs into the closed gate at the main entrance to the campus. The impact wakes up a trio of ghosts that have been sleeping peacefully in their "ghoster." As a blanket of fog creeps across the campus, screams are heard from the science classroom where a guillotine accidentally severs the head of a cadaver. The head rolls across the table and hits a spherical piece of terryllium carbonic alloy. The rock ends up going down the sink drain, where it reacts with some old acid and explodes back out, rolling down the hallway and out the door. It lands in the back of a dump truck, which dumps it onto the sports field. The toxic rock kills all the grass on the field, and even kills an innocent shark named Chuck that was chilling at the North Pole. In the middle of the sports field, the rock shorts out the battery of the choir teachers car, which was abandoned there months ago. The car engine starts up and causes the axle and one wheel to spin. A rope wound around the axle tightens, which opens the cage door holding a mischief (ie, group) of rats that were caught in the kitchen the previous night. The rats fall into a bucket at the top the school's water well, pulling on a rope fastened to it. This disturbs a swarm of killer bees from their hive in the school attic. The bees swarm in a downward spiral, ending up in the central air conditioning unit. This causes a high voltage to be applied to the a/c fans, which blow out a classroom door and cause cars in the parking lot to be thrown about in all directions. One lucky car with four students manages to make it down the hill and out the back gate of the campus. On their way out, the students pass beneath the school mascot, which is a giant Blue Razorback. The pig has been seriously injured in all the recent mayhem and can not move. Thanks to their previous STEAM experience, the students robotically apply a Band-Aid to the pig - which instantly recovers and blinks his blue nostrils in approval. The next decade, the haunted campus is condemned and the school is moved to a brand-new campus.
Our Step List
1. Student drops coin in piggy bank
2. Mindstorm motion sensor senses coin, and triggers stepper motor #1
3. Stepper motor closes switch #1, applying power to electric train track and fog machine
4. Train runs along track and runs into gate to the haunted campus of GCA
5. Gate triggers toaster, which releases ghosts
6. Toaster closes switch #2A , applying power to drill #1 and speakers which play scary music from mp3 player
7. Drill #1 winds up string which releases guillotine blade
8. Blade drops and severs head (nerf ball), and also hits switch #2B which turns off drill #1
9. Nerf ball rolls forward and hits rock (golf ball)
10. Golf ball rolls down ramp into ball return
11. Ball return shoots ball into basket
12. Ball rolls down chute into tipper
13. Tipper tips, pulling string which releases foot pedal that hits globe and knocks off shark
14. Ball continues down chute, over edge of table, and into bucket
15. Bucket pushes down switch #3 applying power to drill #2
16. Drill #2 winds up string which pulls gate up
17. Gate releases marbles which roll down ramp into funnel
18. Funnel drops, pulling on string attached to high platform
19. Platform tips spilling steel balls which roll down spiral tube
20. Steel balls land in bucket which closes switch #4
21. Switch #4 applies power to hair dryer
22. Hair dryer blows on car, starting it down the track
23. Car rolls down track, momentarily blocking photocell, and out the gate
24. Photocell triggers Arduino which runs program in memory.
25. Program activates stepper motor, which rotates arm that applies band aid to pig and finally activates LED's in pig's nostrils.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos