Erase A Chalkboard
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Mari Westerhausen, Ed D
What we're studying:
Science: Earth & Space Science
Reading: Sentence Structures (Chronological VS SequentialTexts)
Writing: Science Fiction (Twisted Tales)
Math: Geometry (Solids)
Technology: Coding with scratch (Game Element: Story)Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
The BEST way to predict the future is to create it!Why we think we should win:
We have a good story behind our machine:
Story: Jack & Jill from Metroville
Module 1- Jack & the Water Guardian: Saving the Earth (story by Josh Mendes)
Module 2- Jill & the Pink Unicorn: Saving the Villagers (story by Mickey Skutnik) Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Write on a Chalkboard
Launch a rocket
Welcome to QCMS GEMS Team!
GEMS stands for Gifted Education @ Science & Technology
In our Language Arts class, we are comparing and contrasting between narrative and non fiction genre.
Based on the theme, Twisted Tales, we then rewrite fictional stories (fairy 'tales') and mix them with science topics on Space & Earth Science for a 'twist'. We write them in two different text structures, chronological (narrative, fiction) and sequential ( procedural/RGM steps, non-fiction), including the events storyboard story and the RGM flow map.
Each student then reads the story to their team and the group votes for their best story. The chosen story will then be built into a machine, improving them as we go along. Our machine is made up of two stories involving the tales of 'Jack & Jill in Metroville' written by Josh (Jack's module: Saving Earth) and Mickey (Jill's module: Saving the Villagers).
Have fun checking out our machine.
Our Step List
1. Ball (Jack) rests at the top of the ramp
2. Ball rolls down the ramp.
3. Ball knocks down the pebbles on the ground.
4. Ball is rolling up the ramp.
5. Ball jumps to the tower
6. Ball hits another ball (water tank)
7. Ball rolls down ramp, landing at the clock tower
8. Ball continue to roll down another ramp
9. Ball knocked down dominoes
10. Dominoes hit the cup with pebbles
11. Pebbles fell into the crate attached to sting.
12. Crate knocks eraser down the ram into the board…
13. Eraser erases the board with villagers drawn on it, causing the unicorn with Jill on top to move forward.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos