Apply A BAND-AID®
Genesis, Kids Discovery Factory, & Jac-Cen-Del School Corporation
Saturday, March 04, 2017 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
What we're studying:
We split our time between advanced physics concepts and engineering project work.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
Tape is the enemy.Why we think we should win:
We have worked hard at learning from our mistakes last year and competing better. We also have tried to incorporate our projects this year into our machine. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Fill a water bottle.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Rube Goldberg was distinguished in the field of engineering but was looking for a new challenge. He decided to go back to school and become a medical doctor. However the lure of engineering was to strong and he decided to combine his skills and opened Rube's Travelling Infirmary. If you need a boo-boo healed, RTI will take care of you.
Our Step List
1. Phone calls second phone.
2. The other phone vibrates off the ramp
3. The phone pulls a string which then activates a lever.
4. The lever allows the ambulance to roll down.
5. The ambulance knocks a domino off the ledge.
6. The fall of the domino pulls a knot loose.
7. The release of the knot undoes a kink in an IV.
8. Fluid drips into a Dixie cup.
9. The Dixie cup pulls a weight.
10. The weight knocks into a ball.
11. The ball rolls down a ramp and knocks a card out of a slot.
12. The movement of the card releases a marble so it falls down a PVC pipe.
13. The marble hits the on button on the power strip.
14. This sends electricity to power a lamp.
15. The lamp in turn powers a solar car.
16. The car rolls down a ramp and knocks over a PVC pipe.
17. The PVC pipe triggers a mousetrap.
18. The mousetrap turns an office stool.
19. The stool pulls out a syringe stuck in a tube.
20. The movement of the syringe allows marbles to fall out.
21. The marbles fill a container.
22. The container tips the triple beam balance.
23. The balance pushes up a rod.
24. The rod tips a medicine bottle.
25. The contents fills a beaker.
26. The beaker pushes down on a 10 mL syringe.
27. Pressure in the line pushes a 50 mL syringe forward.
28. The 50 mL syringe pushes yet another 10 mL syringe off the ledge.
29. The syringe pulls a string out from beneath a ball.
30. The removal of the string allows the ball to roll down the ramp.
31. The ball rolls through a separate track forcing it to collide with another ball knocking it free.
32. The ball then pulls a pen cap off of the string which was preventing the zip line from moving.
33. The zip line collides with the gear system.
34. The gear system then shifts a track allowing a ball to move.
35. The ball then rolls through the tube and hits the switch to the circuit, turning it on.
36. The switch then powers the fan.
37. The string on the fan pulls a weight off of the table.
38. The weight is connected to a rotating lever which then allows the ball to move.
39. The ball moves into the plinko board into a funnel.
40. The ball then exits the funnel triggering a mousetrap.
41. The string that is attached to the mousetrap pulls the tongue depressor releasing a ball.
42. The ball rolls down ramp releasing a reflex hammer pendulum.
43. The reflex hammer hits another ball then rolls into a pill bottle.
44. The pill bottle pulls a lever.
45. The lever then applies the bandage to an arm.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos