Apply A BAND-AID®
Sunday, March 12, 2017 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
What we're studying:
Some of the subjects that we are studying in class include chemistry, physics, and biology. Why we think we should win:
Our group is independent, self-organized, and original in our machine design. While we do not have much experience with building machines and construction, we are creative and make do with the resources we have to complete the task consistently and effectively. Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Our machine is set in on a tropical island. It starts with a little marble just wanting to go down the water slide, but then he hits a series of book from the Forest of Knowledge. Then that knocks over a zip line knocking over the tow truck. This releases the idiot launcher. That then pulls on the hidden Aztec treasure releasing the ball of dooooom. That then hits a lever rising the magical magnet up to hit another ball of doooooom. This ball of doooooom, however, is made of lava and hits a lake causing a release of steam moving a level hitting the roll of adhesion. Then the volcano EXPLODES and the floor splits. This smacks into the can of goodness that then pulls on the basaltic rocks which then fill into a cup than makes over the bandaid block applying the band-aid to a fault caused by the volcano.
Our Step List
1. A balloon is squeezed manually.
2. Ball bearings are released into a tube on top of a tower.
3. The ball bearings hit a serious of swing levers
4. A swing levers strikes a series of books
5. The books fall in succession and hit a taut string.
6. The string pulls on a car that is mounted on a tower.
7. The car falls onto a catapult that is wound up, releasing the catapult.
8. Once the catapult strikes the metal bar, a circuit is completed to start a motor.
9. The motor rotates a wheel with a spoke, knocking out a pen lodged in the wall and releasing
a golf ball down the track.
10. When the golf ball reaches the end of the track, it lands on a lever that is raised by the force
landing on it.
11. The lever moves a magnet that is attracted to another magnet.
12. The force of the magnets colliding releases a ball down the rail.
13. The ball strikes a vertical pole that is fixed on a platform.
14. The pole pushes on a rotating metal piece.
15. The metal piece strikes a roll of tape.
16. The tape hits dominoes that fall onto a marble.
17. The marble is pushed through a toilet paper roll.
18. The lever on the wall is released and releases a cup holding small metal bearings.
19. The bearings slide down a tube and into a container.
20. The ball and bearings push down on a seesaw.
21. The seesaw is raised and hits a pencil lodged in a wood block.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos