Put Money in a Piggy Bank
Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh
Sunday, March 03, 2019 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Apprentice - Ages 8 - 11 (Elementary School)
Carter Davis - invitation signed.
Aidan Gill - invitation signed.
Brady Mayer - invitation signed.
Will Brown - invitation signed.
Max Sprinker - invitation signed.
Judah Smith - invitation opened.
Grace Huston - invitation signed.
Grace Lyon - invitation signed.
Stella Wright - invitation signed.
Aubree Hupp - invitation signed.
Mia Sheesley - invitation signed.
Judah Smith - invitation opened.
Judah Smith - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
In class, we have been studying simple machines. We learned about incline planes, wedges, screws, wheel and axels, levers, and pulleys. We also learned about compound machines as well. We learned about Rube Goldberg and his famous cartoons. We also studied some examples of Rube Goldberg Machines.We have worked throughout the school year with a variety of STEAM-based activities.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"It always seems impossible...until it's done!"Why we think we should win:
We think we should win because we put a lot of time and effort into designing and creating this project. Our team really works well together - we are all different and, and yet, our differences and talents add to our ideas. Because our team has a variety of strong personalities with different outlooks and interests, we were able to create a fun and meaningful project based on what we learned in class. We worked long hours perfecting our project and getting it ready for the contest.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
How to open an umbrella
We have named our machine,"It's A 'Burgh 'Berg Thing: A Tribute to the City of ChampYINZ!" We have designed a machine that includes different aspects of our beloved city of Pittsburgh combined with our classroom study of simple and complex machines.
For the mechanical part of the machine, we have included a combination of simple and complex machines which encompasses inclined planes, screws, pulleys, wheel and axels, wedges, and levers.
Our Pittsburgh themed machine celebrated the "YINZER" love of Pittsbugh. Some fun additions to our machine highlights the championship sports teams of the Pirates, the Penguins, and the Steelers, and includes some of the famous landmarks of the Clemente Bridge, the 3 Rivers, and the Duquesne Incline. The Machine also includes some famous (and infamous) Pittsburgh pensonaliies, including Mr, Rogers, Pittsburgh Dad, The Pittsburgh Pirates' Pierogi Crew, some "Yinzers" and a brief cameo appearance by "AB."
Our own Pittsburgh Pierogi Team will compete to deliver the championship coin to Pittsburgh Dad. Watch how it all unfolds!
Go Team Black and GoldBERG!
Our Step List
1. Pierogi Teammate hits the button.
2. Mini baseball goes down the "PNC Park" Ramp.
3. Mini baseball knocks over books.
4. The books hit each other for a domino effect.
5. The last book hits the wheel.
6. The wheel hits a weighted marble.
7. The marble goes down the corkscrew.
8. From the corkscrew the marble travels down the "Duquesne Incline" Ramp.
9. The marble crosses the Clemente Bridge and down a ramp.
10. The ramp leads to the "T Station" Tunnel.
11.From the tunnel the marble knocks over a series of dominoes.
12. The dominoes bump the hot wheels track, which activates the football.
13. The football rolls down the ramp and hits the "Goal Post" block.
14. As the football hits the goal post, the football falls into the hole.
15. The goal post hits the Steelers Jenga Blocks.
16. The Jenga blocks domino and hit the battery-operated pulley system.
17. The pulley system runs and rolls the football to activate the ipad.
18. "Pittsburgh Dad" hears the ipad and gets angry, launching the "Bad Call" brick with the catapult.
19. The catapult simultaneously pulls a string attached to a Steeler helmet.
20. The helmet pushes the marble down a tube and into a pulley system.
21. The pulley system lifts the marble down the tube .
22. The tube leads the marble to a ramp.
23. The switch is activated.
24. The marble rolls into the basket and down the stairway/ incline.
25. The marble travels from the stairway into a funnel.
26. In the funnel, the marble hits the coin.
27. The coin goes into the Football shaped Piggy Bank.
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos