Open An Umbrella
Online Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
What we're studying:
How to recycle our childhood toys in an original, creative and funny way!Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
Lets think STEM!Why we think we should win:
We are so proud to be the first students in the Jackson School District's STEM Academy. We wanted to work together in some capacity outside of the classroom so we formed a STEM club this year. Our club decided to enter this competition because it would allow us to apply some of the skills we have learned in our classes. We also thought it would be great to see what we could build, together as a team! We should win not because our machine is truly the best but because we were brave enough to take a chance. This is our first attempt at designing and constructing a Rube Goldberg Machine! Like all great inventions, it all starts with risk-taking, even when you know you might fail. We deserve to win because we worked together, after school, for many hours, as a team, because we wanted to, not for a grade. We learned so much from this experience-about ourselves and each other. We had a blast and designed something cool! Even though the competition is over, we will continue to work on our machine- to make improvements and make our classmates, teachers, administrators and parents proud of us. Thank you for this opportunity!Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Please consider that many schools are on spring break this week, the week of the online contest deadline. We really could have benefited from having more time to work on our machine; but with 6 school days off, it was not possible.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Our Step List
1. Push the car (start)
2. Car goes down the spiral ramp
3. Car goes through the tunnel
4. Car hits the dominos.
5. Dominos travel up the ramp.
6. Dominos hit the jeep.
7. Jeep goes down the tunnel.
8. Jeeps hits the trigger for the marble maze.
9. Marble shoots up to the top of the maze.
10. Marble passes through the maze.
11. Marble hits dominos.
12. Dominos hit lego structure.
13. Lego structure hits the weight.
14. Weight falls off the table.
15. Falling weight pulls card holding marble.
16. Marble falls into a tunnel.
17. Marble triggers dominos.
18. Dominos hit a ball.
19. Ball rolls down a ramp.
20. Ball hits dominos.
21. Dominos hit a lego structure.
22. Lego structure hits the incredible hulk holding an umbrella.
23. Hulk falls off the table.
24. Strings connected to the umbrella pull the umbrella open.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos