Pour A Bowl of Cereal
Hoffman Estates High School
Saturday, February 24, 2018 Setup Time:
12:41 PM Contest Start Time:
Live Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Diya Kansagra - invitation signed.
Naga Maddipudi - invitation signed.
Anya Maheshwari - invitation signed.
Manaschandra Ramineni - invitation signed.
Abigail Thomas - invitation signed.
Ronit Anandani - invitation signed.
Leisha Garg - invitation signed.
Haley Kharvari - invitation signed.
Jival Chorawala - invitation signed.
Keller Junior High's Rube Goldberg Machine is an awesome way to serve the "Breakfast of Champions" cereal - Wheaties.
The machine references the tradition of displaying Olympians on Wheaties boxes and ties in with the 2018 Winter Olympics.
Our Step List
1. Student places a softball on a ramp. The soft ball rolls down the ramp and hits the first rectangular wooden piece, knocking them all down
2. As the the wood pieces are knocked down, it pulls a string attached to a domino, freeing a ball bearing. The ball bearing rolls off a book and onto a ramp
3. The ball rolls down a ramp, falls inside of a cup, which pushes down a lever
4. Lever pushes a safety pin into a balloon, popping the balloon
5. As the balloon pops, it drops a ball bearing (which was inside the balloon), into a cup and the cup lowers
6. As the cup lowers, it pulls a string on a pulley, which raises a piece of cardboard
7. As the cardboard raises, a car drives forward; pulling away an eraser attached with a string
8. The eraser moves out of the way of a wooden pendulum, the pendulum swings, and hits a nail
9. The nail rotates and hits another nail, rotating 3 more nails.The final nail knocks an upright nail off the table
10. The nail falls and lands on a wood incline and the impact causes a car to roll down the wooden incline
11. The car pulls a string which is attached to a wooden block, pulling the block out of a stack of blocks
12. As the wooden block gets pulled out of the stack, it knocks down all the blocks, which drops a group of washers to the floor.
13. The group of washers pulls a pulley, which rotates the box of Wheaties and pours the cereal in the bowl.
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos