Put Money in a Piggy Bank
Hoffman Estates High School
Saturday, February 23, 2019 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Faro Abbate - invitation signed.
Ujwal Chilla - invitation signed.
Siya Choudhary - invitation signed.
Akhil Mallajoshula - invitation signed.
Nimit Patel - invitation signed.
Sarah Scanlan - invitation signed.
Andrew Shadel - invitation signed.
Alexander Waterman - invitation signed.
Leisha Garg - invitation signed.
Heta Patel - invitation signed.
Eesha Desai - invitation signed.
Arul Nangla - invitation signed.
"Money doesn't grow on trees..."
Keller's 2019 Rube Goldberg Machine is themed based on a situation where a young man asks his "parents" for money. Instead of handing him the cash, his parents encourage him to earn the money, as "money doesn't grow on trees".
The machine traces the young man's journey towards earning his money. The first portion of the machine is set in the garage where the action steps represent the tasks the young man must complete to earn money and includes items that may be found in a garage.
The machine finishes in the young man's bedroom where he finally earns his money and places it in his piggy bank for safekeeping.
Our Step List
1. Person in skit places the foam novelty coin into the tool board, the coin travels through the board and rolls down a ramp.
2. The coin hits a bolt at the end of the ramp, knocking the bolt into a bin.
3. The bin lowers and raises a track on the other side of a pulley, moving a nail
4. The first nail starts a chain reaction of nails rolling down a platform
5. The last nail bumps a wooden propeller which rotates into a marble
6. The marble falls into the top of a box, rolls through the track, and comes out at the bottom - knocking into a small domino
7. A series of dominoes fall and the last domino knocks down a book
8. The book opens a trash can by pulling on a string
9. The open trash can lowers the dustpan on a pulley, releasing the car
10. The car rolls down the ramp and hits a golf ball
11. The golf ball rolls down a ramp and into a bin, which raises a pulley
12. The pulley moves a wooden block, releasing a car
13. A car drives forward, which pulls the sheets up the bed
14. The sheets pulling up the bed pulls a block which frees a car
15. The car rolls down the ramp and hits a marble
16. The marble fall into a cup which pushes down a pulley
17. The blue ball rises up on a pulley and flicks the blue platform
18. The blue platform pushes the golf ball to move on to the track
19. The golf ball rolls down a path and hits a matchbox car, causing it to roll down a track.
20. The matchbox car rolls down a track and hits a stack of pennies. The stack of pennies slide down the tunnel into the funnel and into the piggy bank.
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos