Apply A BAND-AID®
WI Regional Contest hosted by STEM Forward
Friday, March 03, 2017 Setup Time:
7:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
If you can screw it, don't hot glue it.Why we think we should win:
'Cuz our theme is AWESOME!
When we found out the task was to apply a band-aid, we tried to think of something funny involving an injury. We came up with the Black Knight from Monty Python's The Holy Grail, and how he says things with such bravado like "tis but a flesh wound" when his whole leg gets ripped/chopped off. We believed it would be equally funny to have a measly band-aid to help such a wound. We have incorporated many fun parts of that movie into our machine, including the Grail itself, the Hand of God, the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, the Shrubbery, the monks that whap themselves with the boards, etc.
Our Step List
1. The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch is placed on the hook.
2. The weight of the Hand Grenade pulls a string, rolling up the Hand Grenade scroll
3. As the scroll rises, it catches on the rabbit lever (class one lever) and raises it.
4. The Trojan Rabbit rolls down the ramp and hits the green lever (class one lever).
5. As the lever tips, the "coconut" (a golf ball) rolls down the vine tube and knocks the popsicle stick out of the way.
6. The Hand of God falls, pulling a wire that lifts the cloud up.
7. When the cloud lifts up, the Holy Grail is knocked off the ledge.
8. As the Holy Grail falls, it pulls a string, lifting the black ramp (a class 2 lever).
9. King Arthur and Knights of the Round Table advance, hitting the herring fishing rod (class one lever).
10. The herring swings forward and knocks over The Tallest Tree(s) in the Forest.
11. The last tree falls, pulling the Duck and Witch scale into balance (She's a Witch!)
12. As the Witch rises tension increases on the rat trap string, triggering it.
13. The plank comes up and whacks the monk in the face.
14. The monk's head flies back, pulling the nail out of the cave tube.
15. The ball bearing rolls down the tube and then into the lake lever (class one lever).
16. Lever pulls a pin, releasing the cop car that has come to arrest everyone.
17. As the cop car falls, it pulls a string that goes through a pulley, and tips the bucket of sand into the funnel.
18. The sand pours into the "Castle sinking into the swamp", tipping the lever (class one lever).
19. The lever pulls a pin, releasing a spool.
20. The spools rolls down a ramp and knocks a piece of wood out that is supporting the Jenga boom platform.
21. The platform drops, causing a weight to fall.
22. The weight pulls a pulley which unwinds a spool.
23. The unwinding spool causes a gear to rotate.
24. The gear propels the band aid applicator forward, and then pulls it back.
25. The band aid is applied to the Black Knight's flesh wound.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos