Apply A BAND-AID®
Minnesota State, Mankato & MNCEME
Friday, March 03, 2017 Setup Time:
8:30 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
What we're studying:
Energy transfers and how simple machines work.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Who unplugged the hot glue?"Why we think we should win:
The Movies Makers machine is a realistic movie theater with red velvet curtains, a red carpet, real theater seats and two movies that actually come to life in a series of chain reaction events! Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Open a book.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
The Movie Makers are at the opening premier for Fast and Furious and Star Wars when chaos breaks loose! As the curtains open, the popcorn machine breaks sending candy spinning through the concession stand. Multiple car chases, wrecks, spinning movie reels, movie seats, and light sabers are all mixed up. Darth Vader even makes an appearance. In the end the producers yell, “CUT!” and they seal it with a Band Aid.
Our Step List
1. 1. The machine starts with the push of a button.
2. The button pulls out a block of wood from the slanted red tube.
3. The block releases the weights down the tube which opens the curtains using a system of three fixed pulleys.
4. The weights fall down a ramp and hit a third-class lever.
5. The lever pulls a string that opens the popcorn tray, a third-class lever.
6. The popcorn tray opens the popcorn door, another third-class lever.
7. The door pulls a string that pulls a block of wood from the top of the marble run inside the concession stand.
8. The block of wood releases several marbles.
9. The marbles fall into a box.
10. The weighted box pulls a third-class lever.
11. The lever pulls a string on a fixed pulley.
12. The string lifts a piece of paper.
13. When the paper is lifted, it releases two cars down a ramp.
14. The cars pull a string.
15. The string pulls away a popsicle stick.
16. When the popsicle stick is pulled away, it releases a metal movie reel down the track.
17. The reel hits the M&M box second-class lever.
18. The lever hits a red Mustang.
19. The mustang heads down a wooden black ramp.
20. At the bottom, the mustang hits a triple-decker bus.
21. The bus rolls down a red track.
22. After it rolls down a track, the bus hits a first-class lever.
23. The lever releases a lunch box.
24. The lunchbox pulls a string attached to a first-class lever.
25. The lever releases the Darth Vader slider head.
26. Darth Vader hits a light saber.
27. The light saber hits a purple and orange stacked cars.
28. The cars fall into a popcorn bucket.
29. The popcorn bucket is attached to a chain that rotates.
30. After the chain rotates, it triggers a semi-truck that slides down a wooden ramp.
31. The truck hits a first class light saber lever.
32. It releases a slider with two cars on it that slides out.
33. When the slider slides out, it hits a chair seat and causes it to fold down.
34. When the chair seat folds down, it loosens a string.
35. The string is attached to a fixed pulley that pulls candy boxes.
36. The candy boxes fall and hit a piece of wood and a doorknob.
37. When the doorknob rotates and the piece of wood is hit, a yellow car is released.
38. The car falls down an orange ramp and hits a blue light saber.
39. The blue light saber hits a pipe that has a string and a disc attached that rests on an L bracket.
40. The pipe moves which knocks the disc off the L bracket.
41. The disc has a string attached that runs through a fixed pulley and when it falls, it pulls a small piece of metal.
42. The piece of metal releases the reel which has ribbon wound around it attached to the blue pickup truck.
43. When the reel is released it spins.
44. The reel spinning causes the blue pickup truck to drive down a ramp.
45. The truck hits a red first-class lever.
46. The lever has a screw in it that attaches to the slider, and when the lever is hit it gets lifted and the slider is released.
47. The slider is propelled upwards by a spring.
48. The spring pushes the Band-Aid onto the clapper and the clapper is shut.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos