Open An Umbrella
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
This device was constructed during our "A" block enrichment period. We studied bridge design; as well as potential and kinetic energy. We also learned to used basic hand tool techniques to construct our device. Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"...and that's why you always show your work!"Why we think we should win:
Because it took us 253 attempts to get it to work correctly the first time. We constructed most components from scratch and have worked over 6 months to get it right. We tried to make it interesting and challenged ourselves to see how complex we could make it.
Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Pour a glass of milk and dunk a cookie into it. Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
This machine uses a lot of marbles, dominos and release pins. Thanks to one team member's dad we had a lot of scrap pine. Mr. Whitworth brought in some basic handtools and a hot glue gun we used to construct most of our devices. Each team member was responsible for building his/her own component and then they were linked together. Everyone then helped with the fine tuning and any modifications needed.
Our Step List
1.Marble rolls down track hits dominos
2. Dominos hit string pulling off stop, releasing marble
3. Marble hits dominos
4. Domino hits string, pulling pin, releasing toy car with block on top.
5. Car w/ block rolls down and hits stick holding up "giraffe head"
6. Giraffe head drops marble into funnel
7. Marble travels through tunnel and down ladder/ramp frame
8. Ball drops into cup releasing pin and flipping stick releasing 3 marbles
9. Marbles drop into funnel landing into spray can top
10. Can top pulls string and releases marbles to fall down ramp
11. Marble hits lever that pushes marble down ramp into another cup.
12. Marble in cup pulls cup down and pulls pin on ramp
13. Marble rolls down ramp and hits more dominos
14. Domino hits string releasing pin holding car
15. Car rolls down ramp hitting block.
16. Block moves pulling a pin that releases another marble
17. marble rolls down ramp hitting dominos
18. Dominos hit string pulling stop block
19. Stop block releases marble that rolls down the ramp hitting more dominos.
20. Dominos hit string pulling pin releasing marble
21. Marble rolls down ramp setting off a "climbing ladder"
22. Top marble of ladder rolls down knocking down the support block releasing car
23. Car slides down zip line hitting wrecking ball
24. Wrecking ball hits more dominos
25. Dominos fall hitting switch to lego motor
26. Lego motor winds string pulling on handle of umbrella, opening it!
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos