Apply A BAND-AID®
Santa Monica Pier - Middle School
Sunday, March 05, 2017 Setup Time:
9:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
We are studying simple machines and forces. Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"If you can't fly, then run. If you can't run, then walk. If you can't walk, then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward." - Martin Luther King Jr. Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Our machine, Around the World in a Minute, combines elegance and adventure in a beautiful, modern setting. First, we take you through the hustle and bustle of the Big Apple. The Statue of Liberty is a pure declaration of our country's diplomacy. Next, we take a direct flight to the west, flying to Hawaii. We observe beautiful Tiki statues of Hawaii, showing our truly awe-inspiring cultural heritage. Next, we take a fast paced ride on the famous trolley cars of San Francisco. After a long flight south, we take a ride down the Nazca Lines of Peru. Then, we hunker down and take a hike across the timeless Great Wall of China. Then, we head to England to catch a glimpse of the majestic Big Ben overlooking the city. Next, we head back toward our hometown of Los Angeles to view the Endeavour spending its days at the California Science Center. Our second to last stop is the Christ the Redeemer statue in Brazil. Lastly, we end our journey in the mystical land of the Sphinx. Finally, we can give this cat some well deserved medical attention! Concluding our epic quest, we reflect on our travels, but we realize the only thing we need is a place to call home.
Our Step List
1. Person pulls back pendulum and lets go.
2. Pendulum hits skateboard.
3. Skateboard rolls down the ramp and hits the tiki statue.
4. Tiki statue hits the trolley car.
5. Trolley car rolls down ramp and hits the switch.
6. Switch spins and hits the ball.
7. Ball rolls and hits the domino.
8. The domino falls over and hits the marble.
9. The marble rolls down the tube and hits the ball.
10. The ball rolls down the ramp and hits the block.
11. The block hits the jar and the jar hits the ball.
12. The ball rolls into the red cup and the second red cup rises to hit the track.
13. The track tips and the train rolls forward.
14. The train hits the shuttle.
15. The shuttle rolls down the ramp and hits the blocks.
15. The blocks hit the bridge.
16. The bridge falls and applies the band aid to the Sphinx's nose.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos