Pour A Bowl of Cereal
STEAM Machines Innovation Fair
Sunday, March 04, 2018 Setup Time:
9:30 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Kristina M Atia
Karyn Fu - invitation signed.
Jessica Lewin - invitation signed.
Diya Dhawan - invitation signed.
William Bowen - invitation signed.
Kiran Shah - invitation opened.
Fionnula Carew - invitation signed.
Aanav Patel - invitation signed.
James Grzesek - invitation signed.
Kyle Fukumoto - invitation signed.
Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
First, a plane travels down a ramp and hits a marble that makes the pulley release a bouncy ball.
Than, that bouncy ball after rolling down a slope weighs down a switch back that hits a large
magnetic ball. That magnetic ball rolls down another ramp and pulls a clip out that was blocking
a blue glass marble that falls into a cup attached to a wheel weighing it down. On the other side
of the wheel there is a pitcher with milk. When the marble weighs down one side the other side of
the wheel moves and the pitcher an pours the milk into the bowl. Meanwhile, the magnetic ball
keeps rolling and knocks over a book. That book falls off a platform. A string is attached to that
book and a mouse trap. Once the book falls it pulls the string setting off the mouse trap. On the
other side of the mouse trap there is another string with a small piece of cardboard. After the
mouse trap is set off that string is yanked out of a tub releasing fruity pebbles. Pouring a delicious bowl of fruity pebbles and milk!
Our Step List
1. Human touches plane.
2. Plane rolls down ramp and hits a giant marble.
3. Giant marble falls into pulley.
4. Pulley moves up and releases a bouncy ball.
5. Bouncy ball rolls down ramp falls on streamer.
6. Streamer pulls switchback which hits metal magnetic ball.
7. Metal magnetic ball rolls down ramp and pulls out paper clip which releases marbles.
8. Marbles fill cup which acts as a weight to move the wheel.
9. Wheel moves to pour milk from pitcher into bowl.
10. Metal magnetic ball also hits textbook.
11. Textbook falls and triggers mousetrap.
12. Mousetrap pulls cardboard out of tube to release cereal into bowl.
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos