Pour A Bowl of Cereal
Horizon Christian Academy
Saturday, January 27, 2018 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Jose Hernandez - invitation signed.
Flor Aguirre - invitation signed.
Rebecca Mason - invitation signed.
Ethan Payton - invitation signed.
Naomi Bernardino - invitation signed.
Samuel Martinez - invitation signed.
Allie Bobo - invitation signed.
Ben Atchley - invitation signed.
Juan Mateo - invitation signed.
Frankie Cinto - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
Some of our team members take anatomy, other take physics or environmental science. In our elective classes we have all taken technology, art, and/or engineering courses. For math classes, our members have taken various classes such as: Pre-Calculus, Algebra II with Trig, and DE Math 112 and 113. Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"It's nice to be important. It's more important to be nice." -CJ the DJ, WQSB 105.1Why we think we should win:
Our team is determined to take home first place because we are strongly motivated to make our last year the best. Our team is made up of ten seniors who plan to go out with a bang this year. The team is always working together and having fun during the whole process. We learned many things going to nationals last year. We are grateful for that experience and we hope to make it back to nationals for a second time. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Raise a flag
Paint a picture
Light a light bulb
Make a sandwich
Swat a fly
Type a sentence
Turn a faucet onFavorite Rube Goldberg video:
Our contraption consists of a family friendly farm, a rusty yet comforting factory, and a kitchen that makes you feel right at home. Pouring a bowl of cereal may seem like a simple, everyday task to most people. However, there is a unique process behind how cereal is actually manufactured. First of all, wheat needs to be grown on a farm so that cereal can receive the natural grains required to fulfill a balanced breakfast. After this, the wheat must be transported to a factory where the wheat is combined with other nutritional substances to create a variety of cereals. Families then enjoy the refreshing nourishment of a bowl of cereal for the morning start.
Our Step List
1. Hammer hits truck
2. Truck hits a gate (lever)
3. Gate releases truck
4. Truck rolls off platform, pulls string
5. String pulls block
6. Block causes weight to fall
7. Weight pulls string
8. String on a pulley opens trap door
9. Trap door releases marbles
10. Marbles fall through Grain Bin (Funnel)
11. Marbles fall on a track
12. Marbles fall onto and trigger a mousetrap
13. Mousetrap pulls string
14. String pulls a block
15. Block releases a ramp with marbles
16. Marbles fall through Grain Bin (Funnel)
17. Marbles roll down wooden ramp
18. Marbles hit Lug Nut
19. Lug Nut falls into bucket
20. Weight of the bucket pulls up a bridge
21. Tilted bridge releases train
22. Train hits tractor
23. Tractor hits Grain Bin (Can)
24. Can rolls and hits pivoting Metal Gate
25. Gate pushes marble
26. Marble pushes train
27. Train rolls down a hill
28. Train hits pipe
29. Pipe pushes away another train
30. Train hits barrel
31. Barrel triggers mouse trap
32. Mouse trap pulls a string
33. String pulls a cow
34. Cow releases golf ball
35. Golf ball rolls down kids toy
36. Golf ball rolls and hits a pipe lever
37. Pipe hits a pool ball
38. Pool ball rolls down metal ramp
39. Pool ball rolls into chute (dryer vent)
40. Pool ball rolls out of chute onto ramp
41. Pool ball rolls down ramp and hits wall, causes vibration
42. Vibration causes marble to fall down multiple metal ramps
43. Marble falls from last ramp into funnel.
44. Marble falls from funnel into PVC elbow piece.
45. Marble rolls down metal ramp
46. Marble hits train
47. Train rolls down ramp and hits lever
48. Lever pushes another train down a ramp (x2)
49. Train hits a switch
50. Switch activates motor
51. Motor turns gear with attachment
52. Attachment hits hinge
53. Hinge tilts metal ramp
54. Ramp tilts and releases golf ball
55. Golf ball falls into plinko board
56. Plinko board drops golf ball on a metal ramp
57. Ramp guides ball to hit weight
58. Weight pulls a string
The next three steps happen at the same time as steps 62 and 63
- - 59. Weight flips a switch
- - 60. Switch turns on pump that pumps milk into food funnel
- - 61. Funnel with a tube directs milk into cereal bowl
62. String on a pulley opens box of cereal
63. Cereal pours in a bowl
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos