Apply A BAND-AID®
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
Just keep tryingSuggestion for next year's challenge:
dropping trash into a trash can
For our Rube Goldberg challenge, we had a medical theme. Our team, The Milford Medics, used a hypodermic needle to start the contraption. The “surgeon” pushes the ball out of the needle and onto the track. Throughout the rest of our contraption we used a large wood block with red crosses drawn on it, an ambulance, and a hand with a medical glove on it, to stay within our theme. We also used a skeleton to be our subject for the band-aid to be applied.
Our Step List
1. Using a syringe, a small ball is pushed down an inclined plane.
2. The ball hits a set of dominoes.
3. The last domino pushes a golf ball down another inclined plane.
4. The golf ball hits another set of dominoes.
5. A metal ball is pushed by the last domino, down a third inclined plane and goes into a plastic tube.
6. The metal ball runs into a cup of marbles, which falls, pulling the paint stirrer up.
7. The paint stirrer rises, causing a marble to fall down an inclined plane.
8. The ball goes into the candy cane, and when it comes out, it hits a set of dominoes.
9. The dominoes push on a block of wood, which send the ambulance (attached to a pulley) down an inclined plane.
10. As the ambulance rolls away from the pulley, it pulls a fake hand up to the bottom of the skeleton’s foot.
11. The band-aid, which is attached to the fake hand, is stuck to the bottom of the skeleton’s foot.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos