Our Step List
2017 RUBE GOLDBERG STEPS LIST
THEME: UNITED STATES ARMED SERVICES
SECTION 01: US COAST GUARD
1. A switch is turned to release the helicopter's propeller
2. The propeller spins, allowing the string to unspool and lower the care package
3. The care package hits the lever, raising the gate
4. With the gate raised, the USCG ship coasts down the ramp
5. The USCG ship strikes the rat trap, causing it to trip
SECTION 02: US ARMY (LAND)
6. The rat trap pulls the trigger on the tank's gun
7. The gun fires a round through the barrel and into a wall
8. The wall falls over onto a landmine (mousetrap) setting it off
9. The mousetrap pulls a string which releases marbles through the obstacle course and booby trap pit
10. The mousetrap is triggered by the marbles and pulls a string
SECTION 03: US ARMY (MOUNTAIN AND AIRBORNE)
11. A block is release, allowing an avalanche of golf balls to roll down the mountain
12. The golf balls strike a support beneath a canteen
13. With the support knocked out, the canteen lowers down, raising up a box via a pulley
14. When the box is raised up, two baseballs are released down a ramp (On a side note, the popularity of baseball
throughout the world is related to areas the United States military were deployed between after the Civil War and through the Korean War. Baseball has strong followings in Japan, Korea, Latin America, and Cuba)
15. The ramp narrows and the baseballs strike a wheel. The wheel continues on and the baseballs get wedged in the ramp
16. The wheel falls off as it falls into the Navy section and drops the anchor (Anchors Aweigh!)
SECTION 04: US NAVY
17. The anchor falls onto a lever, raising a release pin on the other end
18 The release pin allows the F-18 Hornet fighter plane to catapult off the deck of the aircraft carrier.
19. The fighter plane hits a paddle, making it spin horizontally.
20. The paddle strikes the bottom of a long lever, tipping it.
SECTION 05: US NAVY
21. The lever strikes a domino, setting off a series of dominoes of naval ranks.
22. The final domino strikes releases a slapper.
23. The slapper strikes a clip, opening it up.
24. The clip releases a sea plane, allowing it to fly down.
25. The sea plane catches the landing cable, pulling it.
26. A support is pulled out by the cable, dropping a depth charge.
27. The depth charge lands on a seesaw, raising the other end.
28. The other end of the see saw lifts up the back of the landing craft. (Higgins boat)
29. The front hatch of the Higgins boat opens up, allowing the tank to roll out onto the beach.
SECTION 06: US MARINE CORPS
30. The tank knocks out a support, turning a bridge into a ramp.
31. The cue ball rolls down the ramp and strikes a clothespin
32. The clothespin releases a string attached to a can of government issued pork product rations (SPAM) allowing it to swing
33. The rations strike a clothespin and opening it
34. A plane is released by the clothespin, crashing landing into the beach and pulling a cable tied to a support.
35. The support lowers and allows a weight to drop
36. The weight lifts a helicopter which raises a ramp
37. A ball rolls down the ramp and knocks a block over
SECTION 07: US AIR FORCE/COMMAND BASE
38. The block strikes a clothespin, opening it
39. The clothespin releases a Jeep to go down a ramp
40. The first Jeep strikes a clothespin, releasing the second jeep down a ramp at a perpendicular angle
41. The second Jeep strikes a clothespin, opening it
42. This allows a tank to descend down the ramp and strike a clothespin
43. A plane is released down the zip line and knocks down a target
44. The target falls over and sets off a mousetrap
45. The mousetrap pulls open the cargo crate, releasing the bomb (ball)
46. The bomb knocks out a support holding back the slapper
47. The slapper gets pulled by a spring and hits the rod in the front of the ambulance
SECTION 08: M*A*S*H* (not like the section 08 Klinger was always trying to get on the show)
48. The rod pushes open the rear door of the ambulance
49. The patient on the stretcher rolls out of the ambulance and hits the syringe
50. The syringe punctures an inflated examination glove
51. The deflated examination glove allows the board to lower, pulling a string
52. A pin is pulled from the IV tube, allowing the marbles to roll down
53. The marbles strike a lever, knocking it over
54. The lever falls over pulling the arm down
55. The arm falls down and applies a bandage to our wounded warrior.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos