Apply A BAND-AID®
San Bernardino County Division I - Ages 11-14 (Middle School)
Saturday, March 04, 2017 Setup Time:
7:30 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
We are studying the contributions and impacts of immigration in history. We are also studying linear equations and how they can be used to make predictions in data. In science, we are learning about gravity's effects on acceleration and falling objects. Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"The person who says he can't and the person who says he can are both right."Why we think we should win:
We think we should win because we worked really hard at making our creativity come alive with limited supplies and facilities. Our school is just starting out and we do not have space for a wood shop. Most of our machine was made by hand cutting with a saw.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
We think a cool task for next year could be to mount a picture on a wall. Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
This machine is about remembering a happy childhood. When we thought about band-aids, we thought about all of the fun things you do as a kid and how sometimes you fall, but it is important that you get back up.
Our Step List
1. A ball rolls down a ramp and hits a car.
Once the ball hits the car, the machine takes two routes:
1. The ball continues down another ramp.
2. The ball hits a tire.
3. The tire, attached to a string, falls and pulls the trigger on a Nerf gun.
4. The Nerf gun shoots and hits a pan.
5. The pan falls and knocks over a Jenga tower.
6. The Jenga tower pushes down on a see-saw.
7. The see-saw pushes up on the ball and the ball rolls into a string trap.
1. The car heads down a ramp after being hit by the ball.
2. The car hits a ball that then goes down a series of ramps.
3. The ball rolls into a stand.
4. The stand releases a ball from Newton's Cradle.
5. Newton's Cradle bumps the ferris wheel.
6. The ferris wheel gets heavier on one side and falls.
7. A string attached to the ferris wheel gets pulled and releases a ball from the popsicle stick stand.
8. The ball rolls down and hits a leaver that hits another ball that hits a lever that hits the last ball.
9. The last ball goes down a Plinko into a short ramp.
10. The ball rolls into a cup that is attached to a string.
11. The sting is pulled down and the pulley system releasing the ball from route one.
12. The ball from route one heads down a wooden ramp.
13. the ball hits a bike with Captain America on it.
14. The bike hits a string that releases the water singing birds.
15. The birds bob back anf forth, putting the band-aid on Captain America.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos