Put Money in a Piggy Bank
Utah AFA and Weber State University EAST Regional
Friday, January 11, 2019 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
AnnaBel Stanger - invitation signed.
Josh Barager - invitation signed.
Victor Munger - invitation sent
Cassie Holbrook - invitation signed.
Dalton Randall - invitation signed.
Will Behrens - invitation signed.
Mary Grace Bourn - invitation signed.
Kaitlyn Criddle - invitation signed.
Sam Burack - invitation signed.
Victor Munger - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
As a team we are studying engineering design and when bringing our sketches to reality is not always possible with available supplies, space, and figuring out physics. It's essential to have a plan before hand, because it is the foundation of our machine. Time would be wasted if we started throwing things together. This way we stuck with a theme, easy assembly, taking in dynamics of the real world (without this we would trash all of our plans), and experience how engineers of our time solve problemsOur Team Leader's favorite quote:
"The safety manager just tripped over his own safety."
"Dalton!! Safety Manager."
"'It will work itself out' is like hoping a bridge will form over water, without designing it." --Jacques FrescoWhy we think we should win:
Everyday we laugh and show compassion towards each other: making our team want to put that much more energy into our machine through dedication and wanting to reach our goals. I believe we should win because we've had the most fun and joy making this machine. This humorous atmosphere is reflected in our product, making it shine a little brighter and makes us all the more proud. We should win because our hearts poured out in creativity and covered this engineering canvas.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Crack an egg
Put toothpaste on a toothbrush
Paint a picture
Tie a knot
Shoot a nerf gun
Flush a toilet
Make a sandwich
Open a book
Open a bottle
Charge a Battery
Catch a fish
Screw in a Lightbulb
Turn on a stereo
Turn on a flashlightFavorite Rube Goldberg video:
Our Machine is a trifold split into four parts: Kitchen, Sunset, Dark Haunted House, and Waking from a Dream.
Each background is the setting for the steps taking place attached to the specific cork board.
Our theme follows a story, starting with the books: "If you Give a Pig a Pancake" and "If you Throw a Pig a Party" by Laura Numeroff.
Our actions are the pig going through each setting.
The story goes as follows: Breakfast, Party, County Fair, Haunted House, Death, It's all a Dream, Waking up to a Coin from the Tooth-fairy, and Putting the Tooth-fairy Money in a Piggy Bank.
Our Step List
1. A person releases a string holding up a pasta box
2. The pasta box, which is attached to a hinge, hits a pot attached to a seesaw
3. One pot moves down and another pot moves up
4. The pot moving up hits a utensil wheel
5. The utensil wheel hits a measuring cup
6. The final measuring cup in a series hits a baseball mitt
7. The baseball mitt hits a disco ball
8. The disco ball hits into a present, knocking it off of a ledge
9. The present falls, causing a piece of cardboard to lift up via a pulley
10. The cardboard releases a Hotwheels car
11. The Hotwheels car runs into a cart
12. The cart spins the wheel it’s attached to, causing a clothespin to open
13. The clothespin releases a string
14. The string falls through the slit in the hotwheels track.
15. With the string out of the way, a marble is released.
16. The marble hits a button that triggers toy gears.
17. The final gear in a series hit a hamster ball filled with tickets
18. The hamster ball hits a skeleton bone with a bearing
19. The skeleton bone hits a roller skate
20. The roller skate hits a pig with a ring attached to a hula hoop
21. The pig knocks over a weight
22. The weight lifts the bell.
23. When the bell is lifted, it releases a wind-up car
24. The wind up car pushes a pushing contraption
25. The pushing contraption pushes an alarm clock off the edge
26. The falling alarm clock pulls down the handle of the scissors
27. The scissors snip the floss that holds up a box of floss
28. The box of floss glides down a zipline and knocks over a plastic pig
29. The plastic pig falls of the chatter teeth, allowing them to open
30. The chatter teeth release a knot of string attached to a ring
31. The ring falls on a toothbrush attached to a toothbrush wheel
32. The toothbrush wheel spins, pulling down a plastic toothfairy’s legs
33. The toothfairy’s legs release a bottle of mouthwash
34. The bottle of mouthwash swings and hits a soup can
35. The soup can rolls and hits a spoon attached to the wall
36. The spoon hits a golf ball
37. The golf ball knocks over little chatter teeth
38. The little chatter teeth cause a piece of cardboard to lift up via a pulley
39. The cardboard releases a quarter to slide into the piggy bank!!!
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos