Zip A Zipper
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
Physical ScienceOur Team Leader's favorite quote:
“Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making
mistakes, and having fun.” — Mary Lou CookWhy we think we should win:
We don't think winning is everything. It's the only thing.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
To put an apostrophe between the "r" and "s" in the word "years".
Hello and welcome to Wissahickon Middle School's Rube Goldberg 2014 group, the Nuclear Penguins! Please help us by sharing this video on social media and voting for our machine!
Our Step List
1) When a cell phone is called, it will drop to the floor thus causing an axle to rotate around a nail.
2) When the axle is rotated, the large marble will fall down onto the inclined planes.
3) The marble will fall into a box, which will lift a domino up using a pulley.
4) The domino will release a car attached to another pulley, which will lift up a small blue block.
5) When the block is raised, balance is lost on a popsicle stick, causing a bell to fall.
6) When the bell falls, a puppet will raise its legs, causing a large lego piece to fall over.
7) Resting on the large lego piece is a ball from a newtons cradle. When the lego piece is knocked over, the ball will fall, triggering the cradle.
8) The newtons cradle will knock over a set of dominos.
9) The last domino, which has a piece of tape on it, will stick to a lever, activating the lever.
10) When the lever is flipped, it will cause a wheel to roll down a ramp.
11) The axle in the middle of the wheel will hit a yellow slab causing another set of dominos to be triggered.
12) The last domino, which is attached to a green pen, will cause the pen to fall releasing the support for a book and a pencil attached to book on top of it.
13) When the support is lost, the book will hit another set of books covered in gift wrap. The gift-wrap-covered books will act as a set of large dominos.
14) The last book will hit a water bottle and cause the water bottle to fall.
15) The water bottle will have enough mass so that when it falls, it will trigger a zipper using a pulley.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos